Want to become a new fish owner

Jun 30, 2010
Hi there, formal intro my name is Amavanna. So here is the story. I was in my local pet store picking up some toys for another pet in the home. As always i browsed and came across some rather BEAUTIFUL fish they had in the store. Originally I had just fallen head over heals over the clown fish they had there. But after some research found that they really require A LOT of work with them requiring much more regulated levels of salt water. So I have decided I really should get more experience with basic aquarium care before taking on such a responsibility.

So I am wanting to start with a nice family of freshwater fish and other aquatic creatures ( maybe like a snail?) Now I have always prided myself on my knowledge for animals, but in honesty I don't know fin from tail about fish :p
I really want to do this right ( I am very picky about how pets are kept so if I can't do right I won't do at all) I want them to be in an ideal environment but also want to be able to maintain everything at reasonable financial cost. So here are some facts about my budget and some questions and maybe some of you more experienced fish keepers can help me along

1. I have prepared a starting budget ( I am aware with any pet there is on going budget) of 100 dollars. There is a rather nice starter kit I saw at walmart. It comes with the following :Size 10 Glass Aquarium. Aqua-Tech 5-15 Power Filter With Bio-Fiber Biological Filtration And EZ-Change #1 Filter Cartridge. Full Incandescent Light Hood (Complete With Bulbs). Water Conditioner Sample. Tetra Fish Food Samples. Easy Set-Up Instructions.
This is only about 40 dollars. The rest of my budget would go towards gravel/sand and other decorations/hideouts rocks and ect. Then eventually whatever fish.

2. Due to some rather bad back problems I would prefer not having to completely move and refill the tank on a weekly basis. What methods of cleaning the water can be used , will the power filter that comes with the kit mentioned above help aid in keeping the water fresh and clean. Also is regular tap water for fresh water fish sufficient, does water need to be purified is bottle water better?

3. Last but not least and certainly the main reason I am making this post. What are my options for fish for fresh water that hardy and strong fish, and not to sound to womanly on you guys but pretty or cute :p the clown fish was such an adorable fish. I would like something that has that kind of ...look to it I am not biased on color at all but I do love the body type of the clown fish it was rather stubby and short kinda like me :p i can relate. I am not very knowledge on what kind of fish there are, or even if my pet store locally would be able to provide but once I find a fish that seems suited for me I can go from there on where to purchase them. I do want other "critters" to keep the aquarium interesting and the little fish company maybe a snail or at the store I saw little cute water frogs. These are just two things I know of but I would love to hear what other animals go well with fresh water fish.

So this is where I am right now. I know I don't know much I am sure a lot of you guys got a thing or two to let me know so I please any suggestions I am all ears.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Welcome to MFT!

I'll briefly answer a few of your questions...

Regular tap water is perfect...just be sure to use dechlorinator. API Stress Coat, Prime, etc are good brands. After your tank has cycled the bacteria is what "cleans" the water, that and partial water changes. You might want to consider doing something like a 25% water change weekly. Be sure to rinse out any filter media in the old tank water that you have removed, NOT fresh tap water.

You do not have to clean out the entire tank. Also, if you have back problems and do not want to haul around buckets of water consider buying something like a Python water system. You hook it up to your sink and drain the water, the reverse the flow to add water back.

As for stocking a ten gallon tank you might want to consider something small, perhaps a group of neon tetras (5 or 7), maybe throw in a gourami. Or maybe a betta. Just remember not to add too many fish to a tank this size.

The important thing to do is read the info here on MFT about cycling. Can't say enough about that.

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Welcome!!

Aquarium "critters" might include a ghost shrimp or a crab of some sort. Albino golden frogs make an adorable addition :p I have had 2 gold inca snails and both died. Not reccomended for beginers like me I guess. They demand alot of algae and I've noticed they get REALLY annoyed by other fish. They'll curl up in their shells and won't come out, hense never finding any food...but maybe that's just me and you'll have more sucess. Keep in mind that they DO have babies whether you want them to or not...that is, if you can keep em alive until they're ready haha. You could also try a cute bottom feeder like an eel or a flying fox.
Now as to adorable fishies...I personally LOVE goldfish. They're cute, stocky, and full of personality. They kinda remind me of clown fish too, and are very hardy :p Keep in mind that your first experience of fish keeping will force you to encounter some diseases. So read up on common ones so you know what to look for in an unhealthy fish. You could also try some live-bearers like guppies, mollies, platys etc...Here's a link you can go to to explore info about the many kinds of fish out there (with pictures of course) to help you find what's best for you. Tropical Fish, Aquarium Fish, Care for Saltwater and Freshwater Fish, Aquarium Setup Then click on the Freshwater Fish link on the left side. Explore a bit so you can get more informed. The posibilities are endless heehee.
Anyway, good luck and have fun. Feel free to contact us any time you want here if you have any questions :)

Feb 27, 2009
I really want to do this right ( I am very picky about how pets are kept so if I can't do right I won't do at all) I want them to be in an ideal environment but also want to be able to maintain everything at reasonable financial cost.
Glad to hear of your attitude on pets! So many think of fish as 'throwaway' and if it catches your eye today and doesn't fit in the tank tomorrow, just 'get rid of it.'

If you plan things right, there is no need to worry about fish diseases. I've kept fish for 30+ yrs and have never had anything except one case of ich this year that came on fish I'd imported (arrived sick). Had I picked out fish at a fish store, I certainly would not have chosen to take home sick fish. (All were treated and are doing fine now.)

Some have mentioned goldfish. While I have nothing against goldies, if you are getting a 10gallon tank, a goldfish is too large. They need 20 gallons for one, and 10gallons for each additional goldfish. Even the smaller 'fancy' type goldfish get 8" long.

Make sure you pick fish that can live to adulthood in your 10 gallon tank. This website may be able to help you decide what fits and what gets along.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks so much for the nice replies I was looking forward coming home today to read my responses. I am starting to wonder if a 10 gallon is too small for any fish to start with. I may need to increase my budget for a larger tank which would take more time to do. I have seen beta fish in very small aquariums..even as small as 5 gallons which seems like a tight fit for any fish but I thought beta fish were fighters? Will they not attack any other fish I have with them? When I was very little I had a beautiful red fish with a long pretty fin, I searched up red beta and sure enough when I was little I had one she was a great fish she would even follow my finger! So the idea of a beta is starting to grow on me. But I would like to know more on its requirements of size. Also getting a male or female beta fish ..which would be easier to keep with other fish if they even can stay with other fish..can they stay with other critters like that cute frog I saw or maybe a shrimp, I saw some cute little shrimp at the pet store, how fussy are they to care for? What is a good critter for keeping the tank wall clean..a snail would do that I guess? Thanks for all the info

Feb 27, 2009
I am starting to wonder if a 10 gallon is too small for any fish to start with. I may need to increase my budget for a larger tank which would take more time to do.
If you do not mind putting in a little labor into the project, you can usually find used aquarium set-ups at garage sales and on local swap websites (not sure where in the world you are, but craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums is common). I bought a 20 gallon aquarium with filter/heater/fish food/water conditioner/gravel/rocks/driftwood for $8 last summer.

I have seen beta fish in very small aquariums..even as small as 5 gallons which seems like a tight fit for any fish but I thought beta fish were fighters? Will they not attack any other fish I have with them?
Betta males do not get along with each other and you should only have one in an aquarium. They can, however, get along with other fish. It depends on the personality of the betta. They are usually not good with other brightly colored long-finned fish (he confuses them with other male betta that need to be removed from 'his' territory). Females can be kept with most other fish and even with each other. There are a lot of betta keepers on here that can advise of particulars with betta care. Usually with female betta, you need one, or many. Just a few and they sometimes pick on each other too much.

Jun 30, 2010
I indeed do have some posts on various sites looking for some used setups but I orginally posted that I wanted 10 gallons so I will have to revise the posts. Getting a little more interested in beta fish, I would like to have more then one fish but no more then three cause I want to have something else besides a fish in the habbitat really starting to lean toward a water snail.

Jun 18, 2010
Lima OH. USA
If you go large enough in your tank size and don't get huge fish more than three and a snail will fit with no issue, for instance a 20 gallon you can fit 4-5 moderately sized fish and a couple snails with ease. Also to do water changes you can buy a siphon or make one like I did mine, it just used a gatorade bottle and some air tubing you can buy in any fish section, it just fills up then I take it to the sink pour it out and fill er up again, no back issues will suffer! And if you you do a water change a week you can effectively make your tank "larger" in that as long as it stays clean and the fish have room to swim you can "overstock" only a little... meaning one or two fish, it isn't recommended but can be pulled off

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Oooops, forgot to note your tank size! I have too many golds in a 10 gal right now and will eventually upgrade...no need to cast my problems of overcrowding onto you haha! IF you get a larger tank, than you could get goldies.

Bettas make good starter fish...they can live in small spaces so long as provided with the proper water quality. I have had over 50 bettas in my life (spawned them myself heehee), and know from experience that 10 gal would deffinately be spoiling one male! But thats a good thing ha ha you would be sure it would live a long time. My older neighbor had kept a betta in a 1 gal for 12 years. It died of old age, but this goes to show that they CAN live in smaller areas. A 5 gal would be pleanty. You can however keep multiple females together if you put them in when they are still young. Males can be housed with fish of other species if you put them in while they're still pretty young. At a fish store I typically go to, the owner keeps a male betta in with almost every freshwater tank! I asked him how this was possible, as they are VERY territorial. The responce was that he put them in while they were under 10 months and they grew up with the other fish. But again, there may be that one fish that gets along with nobody. A moody betta male may inflict serious injuries on other fish, and even kill smaller ones. So be sure to choose one that will play well with others! :p

Your betta will live many happy years in a good quality tank, large or small. I change my current betta's water about once every 1-2 weeks, or if my kitties just drank all the water then I have to refill it. Keep in mind they only need to be fed once a day about 5 pellets of betta food. The care is simple...if you decide to breed them...not so much haha.

Also, if you want more than one male you can install a tank dividor.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Ok so it looks like I am leaning towards maybe two female betas and a sea critter if they will do alright with something like a snail or hermit crab Do beta's require any kind of real plant life or live rock or do they do ok with false plants and decor. Also how can you tell a male and female beta apart?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi Amavanna - welcome!
First, two female bettas are a bad idea. As stated above, you either can have one, or a 'sorority' of several. Second, yes, you can tell male and female bettas apart very easily.
I'd start off by thinking about whether 10g is the size you really want - contrary to what many new fishkeepers think, a larger tank is actually easier to maintain than a smaller one, for the simple reason that water fluctuations are less dramatic in a larger one. And the difference in the money to set up, and work to maintain a 20g, for example, versus a 10g, are almost nil. Also, with a 10g, you are way more limited in the number of fish and other critters that will live in it comfortably.
And keep in mind that 'sea' critters are not compatible with bettas - you must choose between freshwater or saltwater. When you referred in your first post to a 'clown fish' - are you sure it was a freshwater fish? As in a 'clown loach', which is a freshwater fish? Or the 'Finding Nemo' oceanic clown fish?
Cheers,
Laura

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
You can keep a small angel fish in with a betta, is what I have seen so far. I read alot about them because I wanted a tank mate for my betta.
It also seems like you can put snails in with them, they would most likely consider it part of the decor, and if not, then the snails have plenty of protection.
Betta Fish Care - General Betta Fish Care, Information and Help for your Sick Betta Fish
This is a great site for figuring out what you want to do when you get a betta and all about them.

Jun 30, 2010
Hi there again :) the reason I was going with 10 gallons was space..I have a shelving unit that is the perfect size for a 10 gallon but I have a 20 gallon tank with two gerbils in it, and they have a 10 gallon tank for play time I just dont have the room for another 20 gallon tank unless i get a stand..and I have seen the cost for stands they are not cheap at my pet store. The 10 gallon would fit perfect on my book shelf with more then a foot of room up top for ventilation.

Originally yes it was a nemo clown fish. I have already done the research and know it is a salt water fish..and they seem to require much more care with ph balance and other water specifics. I think being a new fish owner I need to start a little easier. And all I meant by "sea critter" was just like another water critter not really from the sea just like snails, frogs, hermit crabs..which would be ok to live with a beta ( since a beta seems to be the way I am gonna go)..and I am sorry if I read it wrong..i thought people were saying two male betas was bad idea not two females...also you say it was simple to tell a male and female apart..but you didn't really say how..

feliciae- Thank you for the website info I will do some research I am sure I will get a lot of answers there. *SUNSMILE*

Feb 27, 2009
No angel can live for long in a 10 gallon tank. Also, hermit crabs are land critters and need access to water. They cannot live in a water-filled aquarium.

Just make sure the shelving unit will hold the weight of 10 gallons of water. With gravel and deco, it will weigh about 100pounds.

Feb 27, 2009
i thought people were saying two male betas was bad idea not two females...
For male betta, you can only keep one in an aquarium. They will fight each other otherwise.

For female betta, you can keep one or several in an aquarium. The need to establish a 'pecking order' if kept in groups which is why you need several (5+). The larger number spreads out the aggression and once the pecking order is established, things are usually peaceful.

also you say it was simple to tell a male and female apart..but you didn't really say how..
This link shows a male and female betta, to get an idea of the fin differences.

Articles on the care, upkeep and maintenance of tropical fish. Breeding betta splendens

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
If you plan on getting female bettas, try to keep it at an odd number. I have heard several things saying that female bettas can be just as pretty as the males, but they have slightly shorter fins. If you don't mind spending a little on one, I would reccomend a half moon betta, they are absloutly georgous, and great to watch.
(At my petstores here they run around 10$, but they will vary depending where you live)

I would personally buy the ten gallon to house your betta, and put some live plants and snails to keep it cleaner in there than normal. If you don't have the filter in your tank, I would most strongly reccomend live plants to help with the oxygen in the water.
I have some in with my betta right now, and he seems to love it.
A bubbler would be even better in there. Bettas are hardier than most fish, but still need to be cared for in such a way that they will flourish.

Plastic plants and decorations cannot have sharp edges, as they will tear the fins on the betta. Be sure to file down or just not buy anything that could harm your fish!

Good luck!