Im new to this =P

Jul 14, 2010
Hey everyone! I am new to this whole aquarium thing, and I purchased a 10 gallon tank from PetSmart the other day and i bought a heater, an air pump, and everything needed for the aquarium. I bought several fish WITH the tank (big mistake, I know.) And 2 of them died. So i removed them and flushed em xD. THEN I learn about cycling. -.- I did put Water conditioner in before I put the fish, but i think I put too many fish in initially. Now, 2 days later, the water is pretty cloudy, I was reading about how the bacteria can "bloom" because I had added "Stress Zyme" to the tank while it was cloudy per the PetSmart personnel advice. The tank is pretty cloudy, and I didnt rinse the gravel, but I did rinse the tank and all of the fake plants and the shelters. What do you think this is? Might it be the gravel? In the tank, there is 1 Pot Bellied Molly, 1 Tequila Sunrise Guppy, 1 Red-Tailed Guppy, and 2 GLOFish, and A Goldfish on snail duty from the living plant I had in there -.- What is the cloudiness from?!

rotkeil

Small Fish
Jul 12, 2010
ireland
hello and welcome to the forum, firstly i would advise you to take the goldfish back to the shop as i dont know how they can sell you tropical and coldwater fish for the same tank,its rediculous,does not work,goldfish can be carriers of fatal tropical fish diseases, yeah the staff there should learn about fish before they sell them, the nitrogen cycle is a very important part of setting up established aquaria,in my opinion i would bring all the surviving fish back to the shop demand compensation or let them mind your fish until your cycle is complete,if the cycle is rushed via too much cleaner ,buffer etc the effects on the bacteria colonies suffer they form in smaller groups and your water quality suffers and disease such as ich or oodinium may come rampant,i know its hard to resist getting setup and your fish and all but really the nitrogen cycling is a very important part of it your better to grin and bear it instead of beeing the grin reaper to your own fish eventually

Jul 14, 2010
hello and welcome to the forum, firstly i would advise you to take the goldfish back to the shop as i dont know how they can sell you tropical and coldwater fish for the same tank,its rediculous,does not work,goldfish can be carriers of fatal tropical fish diseases, yeah the staff there should learn about fish before they sell them, the nitrogen cycle is a very important part of setting up established aquaria,in my opinion i would bring all the surviving fish back to the shop demand compensation or let them mind your fish until your cycle is complete,if the cycle is rushed via too much cleaner ,buffer etc the effects on the bacteria colonies suffer they form in smaller groups and your water quality suffers and disease such as ich or oodinium may come rampant,i know its hard to resist getting setup and your fish and all but really the nitrogen cycling is a very important part of it your better to grin and bear it instead of beeing the grin reaper to your own fish eventually
OK. So you want me to take all of my fish back? o_O I know that you can cycle it WITH fish. So...A few of them died, they are fine now though. I put in the required amounts of Stress Zyme and Stress Coat when I set it up with fish.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I think you might find this site helpful:
Information on Setting Up Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Fish Tanks, Fish Bowls, Aquariums, Aquarium Filters, Aquarium Heaters, Choosing Fish, Aquarium Information
It is pretty straight forward and has been helpful and a good resource. I am sort of in the same boat you are, but I did have time to do a lot of research while I tried unsuccessfully to find pure ammonia. I am now in the process of doing a fish in cycle. My Petsmart has not turned out to be a good resource. Stress is apparently a factor in a lot of fish problems and I am now aware that the store gets their fish shipment on Fridays and so buying fish for a few days afterwards can be problematic.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Can I mix golfishes with tropical fishes?
I found that "article" very hard to follow and I don't really agree with what I believe the conclusion of the "article" is: that although it's not advisable to mix goldfish with tropical fish because of certain care factors it can be done (as stated by hobbyists who have successful setups).

But back to the question at hand why is your tank water cloudy? Not going to lie I don't really know why. I have no real technical answer to give. But my guess that part of cloudiness could be because you didn't rinse the gravel which often contains "dust" particles that when wet float out into the water. I would think that your filter would take care of this in a couple of days or so.

Also don't trust what pet store people (not to say that there aren't some good pet store people but they are rare) tell you they are usually wrong because they either have limited experience dealing with fish/tanks or just don't have the knowledge. I would ask any questions you have on a fish forum just like your doing, so good job and welcome to the world of aquariums!!

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
its bad to mix tropics with coldwater fish, 1 fish group will be happy, other will be sad, during warm and cold temps, the sad fish will keep getting sick and spread the disease even to happy fish group.

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for all of the information, goldfish go fine with tropicals. There are no issues, they will live anywhere. I have done it before with no problems. And my tank has cleared up and I am currently keeping a watch on the cycling by measuring the water ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Jul 14, 2010
Ok. Well, my sister decided she wanted a goldfish, so she fell in love with this 27 cent goldfish that she bought -.- In all honesty, it is doing fine in the 77-79 degree tank! Oh, and she wont let me take it out of the tank despite "you shouldnt mix them" warnings. She wont listen to me =) Just because they prefer opposite water temps, the fish is doing fine and that is enough evidence for her to keep it in there... There isnt anything wrong with it or the other fish. As for they need different foods, we have both, so no worries there... Oh, and I test the water daily.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
You can keep the tank at 75 degrees with no problem harm or discomfort to the goldfish. Ideally the tank should be kept at 68 - 72 degrees for goldfish which is why people call them "cold water" fish. Tropical fish typically require waters above 75 degrees in order to thrive. Neither (most) tropical nor goldfish will be harmed at 75 degres since 75 degrees is within their normal temperature range of their native habitat.

Mollies live in waters that range from 72-79 degress.
Guppies live in waters that range from 68 -84 degrees.

The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom, it is normal for cycling tanks.

The goldfish will quickly outgrow the 10g. The molly will outgrow the tank also.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy.

Jul 14, 2010
You can keep the tank at 75 degrees with no problem harm or discomfort to the goldfish. Ideally the tank should be kept at 68 - 72 degrees for goldfish which is why people call them "cold water" fish. Tropical fish typically require waters above 75 degrees in order to thrive. Neither (most) tropical nor goldfish will be harmed at 75 degres since 75 degrees is within their normal temperature range of their native habitat.

Mollies live in waters that range from 72-79 degress.
Guppies live in waters that range from 68 -84 degrees.

The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom, it is normal for cycling tanks.

The goldfish will quickly outgrow the 10g. The molly will outgrow the tank also.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy.
Thanks for the welcome! This is the type of help I needed!! You were a hugeee help! =) Will tropical fish be ok with temperatures at 76-77?