First 55 gallon aquarium, cichlid questions

Jul 19, 2010
Hello all.

I have maintained a 20g community aquarium for about 4 years and I wanted to get something a bit larger. I went to Petsmart and purchased the Top Fin 55 Gallon Aquarium Kit and once it is ready, I want to have a cichlid tank. I do not know much about these which is why I am researching them first.

First of all, I want as many fish as possible. I do not really want a big aquarium with only a couple fish. With that being said, what types of cichlids could coexist in the 55g? They would need to be available at stores like Petco and Petsmart. 10-15 cichlids, are there species that would make this possible?

Also, are there any other semi-aggressive fish that could live with these guys? I like Tiger Barbs but they don’t seem like they would get along?

I would be very grateful if you could give me a specific stock list that you guys think would work.

And regarding hiding spots; would the fake rocks and wood be sufficient? Any particular websites that sell if for cheaper than in the stores?

Thank you so much in advance!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Yellow Labs and Acei generally get along pretty well and will give you both blue and yellow and are both available at Petco and Petsmart. That might be your best bet there from what I can remember they have.

I wouldnt put Tiger Barbs in with cichlids at all. You can do Syno Cats sometimes but they do get rather larger and will outgrow a 55G in time. Best bet with Cichlids is to stay with Cichlids IMO. Sometimes you can get away with having a Pleco but not all of the Cichlids will leave it alone.

Decor is completely up to you. The natural habitat of Africans is rock and dirt. Just make sure there are plenty of nooks and crannies and spaces for the fish to hide.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Sometimes you can get away with having a Pleco but not all of the Cichlids will leave it alone.
I have a pleco (approximately 6 inches) in a 55g with cichlids and they get along great.

In another cichlid tank there is a 18 inch pleco and a 14 inch pleco and again, no aggression towards them. Also, there's a school of black ruby barbs, similar to the tiger barb, and no problems with them, either.