i hate wa*-mart!!!!!!!

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
i had to pick up some things at wa*-mart today and decided to take a peek at the pet care section. it was awful!!!!!!!!:mad: i felt like screaming!!!!! most of thier female bettas were lying on the bottom of the cups with an inch and a half of water and only moved to get air. then they would float back down to the bottom again. i cannot wait to set up my sorority to rescue some of them!! it took all my will power not to take them all home then and there. poor girls.:( sorry for the rant, but had to get that out of my system before i exploded.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
i had to pick up some things at wa*-mart today and decided to take a peek at the pet care section. it was awful!!!!!!!!:mad: i felt like screaming!!!!! most of thier female bettas were lying on the bottom of the cups with an inch and a half of water and only moved to get air. then they would float back down to the bottom again. i cannot wait to set up my sorority to rescue some of them!! it took all my will power not to take them all home then and there. poor girls.:( sorry for the rant, but had to get that out of my system before i exploded.
Just a note on Walmart female bettas...I've had a few of them and they've been nothing but trouble. I've had them die within a couple of days (in a completely cycled tank), a couple of them were some of the most aggressive I've ever had. Yeah, maybe not the best bet for a sorority. Sorry to rain on your parade. Also, I think OrangeCones is right, they'll just use the money you spend on those female bettas to import more and keep them in equally horrible conditions.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Start a petition in your community to boycott your local Walmart until their pet care is humane or they don't carry fish anymore.
Seriously. And do it online.
Get a camera, videotape the situation, put it on YouTube, email all your friends and your local TV station. Be outraged.
I'm in media. On a slow day, this is a story that your local 'we care' news channel will carry, if you are willing to be a spokesperson.
Hope you are also young, cute, and photogenic.

Best wishes. Go do it!

Nick.

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2010
I was in my local store yesterday and their fish were in terrible shape. i was going to purchase(save) half a dozen striped danios but lo and behold I saw no blue shirts. X(

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I don't have any other options in my town as the pet store was closed down, but even when it was open, Walmart took far better care of their tanks. There seems to be atleast two people working there who really know what they're doing, but you can tell they spend a lot of their time going behind others and fixing their mistakes. It seems like they're always moving fish whenever I go to buy any because people initially stock them with other species they shouldn't be with.

That being said, they bettas are pretty bad, but there's not a whole lot you can do for them since they are stuck in those plastic cups...

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
yet another wal mart rant. can't tell u how many have been on this site for symilar things. the wal mart in davenport iowa and moline illinois are absolutly horrible. I've counted over 100 dead fish in the tanks in one store alone and went back 2 days later and the tanks were cloudy and the whole area stunk of dead fish. all the dead ones were still in the tanks. but if u go to the wal mart in muscatine iowa or aledo illinois they are complete opposites. they are as good as my lfs I use. I see them test the water and make sure fish are seprated if need be. it all depends on where u go and who is taking care of the fish.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
The three WM's in my area that I have been to all discontinued carrying fish.

From listening to all y'all - that is a good thing.

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
I went to the walmart in my region and nearly yelled at the employees. They had figure eight puffers in with some tetras, and there were several dead puffers clogging the filter and the others looked in poor shape.
Not to mention that the puffers were in a supposedly 'brackish water' section, and the tetras are total fresh water.
And now they have the bettas near the vases that they moved to the fish section to promote the buying of both! It makes me sick. Noone should put a fish in a vase.
And I bought some glo fish last time I was there, and the guy dropped two on the FLOOR! I grabbed them up and put them in the tank as quickly as I could, but he didn't make a single move to save them, the poor dears. They survive the dying process just to be killed by suffocation from some careless wal-mart employee.
GAH! The only reason I ever buy fish from wal-mart is when my LFS is closed and I have an itching for saving fish.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Obviously the stores are different from place to place. Everyone at Walmart can't be trained to know everything about fish, and like I said, the tanks in the Walmart I go to are in much better shape than Petsmart's and don't have dead fish in them. At least in my experience at Walmart, when I find an employee, they don't pretend to be authorities like they do at Petsmart. Maybe Petsmart just trains them how to act authoritative instead of knowledgeable.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
lol thyra. I think you're right about the authorative petsmart employees. Employees there have given me completely incorrect info with total certainly and supporting facts - almost all wrong.

The only place I have gone to get consistently accurate information from knowledgeable employees (and the owner) is a LFS that is all fish all the time. It is all the place does. I'm lucky such a place is only 20 mins from my front door.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
you all are right. i guess it is a good thing i didnt buy anything there.
they have the figure eight puffers in with snails at our wal mart. i thought they ate snails!!! lol
totally right about the petsmart employees. they can be really annoying.but there is one lady that is in her 70s' and admits that she knows nothing. i thought that was pretty cool.

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
Im lucky enuf that I hav 2 stores near me. 1 is small but they only stock ur average community tank fish n goldfish and are decent and place is spotless. Also have a very large store dedicated to fish and stock everything under the sun that swims lol koi fresh and salt water. Have some superb show tanks all set up teaming with fish and plants in different styled landscapes and have some beautiful salt water coral reef tanks set up with fish I didnt know existed lol very knowlegable and helpful and they hav a tank that is built into the counter with 3 large rays in it. High quality stuff and u can tell its a gd place by the whole set up.

Now I just need them to take some fish of my hands haha

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
BUT--a lot of times you can't beat Walmart's prices. Same brand of gravel was (25#) was $13 cheaper than at the LFS. Plus Walmart is 8 miles away, the LFS I happened to be at was 40 miles away.
Also I am noticing the prices Petsmart has online are less than in the store - enough to make up for the shipping charges.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
yeah, the supplies are better priced and so are the fish, but the are poorly taken care of at the petsmart and wal mart near me. the petco near me is better though.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
all of the big box stores around me are teribble and the employees are as dumb as a $2 bill.just horrible. I got 3 lfs that are wonderful within a half hour drive from me. the distance is worth the knollege and respect I get with them. 1 only deals in fresh water, 1 only deals in salt water and another is a general store with everything from salt and fresh water, to birds dogs and rabbits, horses and pigs, and even a garden center. even though I'm nearly totally ignorant in salt water none of them treat me like I'm an idiot, they may think that but don't treat me like that lol.