Platy Behavior?

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
Hey Everyone,

So recently our platy's have been acting a little different than normal. They seem to be floating ona 45 degree angle near the surface and congregating in the corners of the tank more frequently than just swimming around. The tank is clean, all levels are good. I am wondering if this is breeding behavior? We have a female that has ben giving birth for the last few months.

Any thoughts? Occasionally I look at them to see if they are alive and they are, just seem to be still in that 45 degree position near the surface? any thoughts?

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
Thankfully thats not possible as I was just getting over a bloom of some sort and have changed the water more than normal right now. My normal routine is a 30% water change every week though. I have a 30g tank with 16 fish, all small right now.

Feb 27, 2009
Thankfully thats not possible as I was just getting over a bloom of some sort and have changed the water more than normal right now.
What is not possible? Ammonia or nitrite poisoning? The 'bloom' you mentioned just getting over indicates that the bacteria may be trying to multiply to handle the bioload of the tank. This usually happens before the tank is completely cycled, and ammonia and nitrite may indeed be high. Without the actual numbers, you cannot rule it out.

Swimming at a 45degree angle is not normal behavior for a platy. Staying near the surface is not normal behavior either and indicates that they are not getting enough oxygen, which both ammonia and nitrite poisoning would harm gill function. Nitrite poisoning can lead to 'brown blood disease,' where the blood cannot carry oxygen, so even if there is plenty of oxygen dissolved in the water, it can suffocate fish.

I would recommend you have the water tested at a pet store (most will do it for free) if you do not have a test kit of your own, as their behavior indicates a water quality issue.

Just my 2cents.
OC

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
I just thought this could not be possible since I have staying on top of the water changes so regularly. I will run the tests I have tonight and let you know what I see.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I just thought this could not be possible since I have staying on top of the water changes so regularly. I will run the tests I have tonight and let you know what I see.
That's why it's so important to have the test kits. It's easy to misjudge how much water to change, and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate can build up really quickly. Let us know what your tests read.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Make sure you use a liquid test kit. Test strips are inaccurate and unreliable. Ideal conditions are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and between 0 and 20 ppm nitrate. A reading of 0 nitrate means your tank is not cycled.

If you do have your water tested at the pet store, ask for specific readings and write them down. Do not let the people at the store tell you your water is fine or a bit off because they don't care about your fish and they only want your business. It is much better to buy your own liquid kit so that you don't have to run to the store every week to have your water tested.

You mentioned the number of fish you have, but what species of fish and how many of each are in the tank specifically?

Also, did you add all 16 fish to the tank at the same time?

Last edited:

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
Wow, thank you so much for all being fish geeeks, this site is great. My stats now are..

Ph = 7.5 or less
Nitrate = 12.5

I do not have an ammonia test but sounds like I should get one.

I took closer note to the platy group tonight and they are not doing the 45 degree float but they do seem to congregate around the heater, my temp is 80-82 consistently so I do not think they would be cold. Even saying that sounds goofy.

The water in the tank is 5 months old, we have gradually added fish, bought some, other are added by birth.

1 red tailed shark
1 rubber nose pleco
2 small loaches
2 clown loaches
1 dwarf gouramie
4 blackskirt tetras
5 mickey mouse platys

I think I must have had some nitrate issue before the major water change 2 weeks ago, we lost our first platy (Bruno) and came home from a long weekend to find the red tail eating what was left of him. We did not know if it was the water conditions or the shark abuse that killed him. I love the red tail as one of my favorites but he is chasing the platys all the time.

Feb 27, 2009
What test kit do you have that measures nitrate that accurately?

Your temperature is a bit high for the fish. Mid-high 70s would be a better temperature for your fish. Hotter water holds less dissolved oxygen.

The clown loaches need to be in a shoal (or school) of 5 or more, and get too large for your 30 gallon tank.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Wow, thank you so much for all being fish geeeks, this site is great. My stats now are..

Ph = 7.5 or less
Nitrate = 12.5

I do not have an ammonia test but sounds like I should get one.

I took closer note to the platy group tonight and they are not doing the 45 degree float but they do seem to congregate around the heater, my temp is 80-82 consistently so I do not think they would be cold. Even saying that sounds goofy.

The water in the tank is 5 months old, we have gradually added fish, bought some, other are added by birth.

1 red tailed shark
1 rubber nose pleco
2 small loaches
2 clown loaches
1 dwarf gouramie
4 blackskirt tetras
5 mickey mouse platys

I think I must have had some nitrate issue before the major water change 2 weeks ago, we lost our first platy (Bruno) and came home from a long weekend to find the red tail eating what was left of him. We did not know if it was the water conditions or the shark abuse that killed him. I love the red tail as one of my favorites but he is chasing the platys all the time.
A dead fish can absolutely cause an issue with the water levels. I had a problem just recently when I didn't notice a dead cory body hiding in my tank for at least a couple of days (was so focused on my angels having personality issues), and my nitrates went sky-high!
You should test for ammonia and nitrite along with nitrates (and a liquid test kit is best). Meanwhile, since your fish seems to be suffering from something, I'd recommend a 50% water change right away and double dosing with Seachem's Prime in case you have any ammonia. Is that a product you are currently using, or can buy at your lfs ASAP? Prime rocks.
And us fish geeks are now going go medieval on you about your tank stocking ;) . . . . .

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
I did not know that about the Clown Loaches until I had 1, I got a second one but the minimum I have heard is 3. I am not really sure what to do with them, right now they are both very small. I am not sure how quickly they will grow. My test kit came froma great shop I am not sure of the name of it.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
He/she said the tank is 30 gallons.

Go to aqadvisor.com/ and add all the species and number of fish that you mentioned. It will give you a percent that tells you how stocked you are. If the number is over 100%, you are overstocked and need to get rid of some fish. I would personally get rid of the loaches, like orangecones said, and I'd also get rid of the shark and possibly the pleco. Both species need a lot of room and plecos produce a lot of waste, even if it is a smaller variety.

You definitely need a liquid ammonia and nitrite test kit.