RTBS/RFS and x#barbs in a 30g breeder?

Aug 22, 2010
So, as you can guess, i want to get an Red tail/red finned shark and some tiger barbs (or some other kind of barb). I found a 30g "breeder" tank at my lfs and the dimensions are 36 x 18 x 12. As you can see this is comparable to a 50g tank which is 36" x 15" x 20". I am extremely excited as i think that I can comfortable house the shark in this tank. It is extremely cheap and as I am pressed for money I don't think I can buy the $200 50g.
Questions:
Will the shallow depth of the tank force the tiger barbs too close to the bottom of the tank to be comfortable for them and the shark?
Could i fit the RFS in this tank? I like them so much better than the RTBS but if they are too big I can easily get a RTBS.
How many barbs can I put in. The only reason I ask is because of the shallow depth of the tank. Is it comparable to a 20 long tank, or can I fit more?

I am not a beginner but I am hesitant about the odd shape of this tank so I am asking for opinions.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
RTS and RTBS are the same thing. Their scientific name is Epalzeorhynchus bicolor. They get to be about 6", so they'd be okay in a 30gal breeder.

I'd say the barbs and the shark would be fine in a shallow tank like that since there's quite a bit of horizontal space for them to get away from each other. You could do a nice-sized school of 10 tiger barbs (maybe do half albinos and half regulars...or do a school of nine and do three greens, three albinos and three regulars) and still have room for a bottom dweller like a bristlenose pleco (love mine!) or a school of small cories (panda, albino, peppered). Heck, you could even add another school of something like tetras if you wanted.

I think this stocking would look really cool in that tank:
1x RTS
12x tiger barbs (4x regular, 4x albino, 4x green)
12x black skirt tetras
1x bristlenose pleco
1x South American bumblebee catfish (I have one and he is the coolest thing EVER...next to my horseface loach, but they get too big for your tank)

You'd even have room for some cories, if you wanted.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Ah! Gotcha. When you google "red fin shark," it comes up with the Epalzeorhynchus bicolor, hence my confusion. However, I think either would work just as well since they are comparable in size and temperment (at least from what I've read about them).

Aug 22, 2010
RTS and RTBS are the same thing. Their scientific name is Epalzeorhynchus bicolor. They get to be about 6", so they'd be okay in a 30gal breeder.

I'd say the barbs and the shark would be fine in a shallow tank like that since there's quite a bit of horizontal space for them to get away from each other. You could do a nice-sized school of 10 tiger barbs (maybe do half albinos and half regulars...or do a school of nine and do three greens, three albinos and three regulars) and still have room for a bottom dweller like a bristlenose pleco (love mine!) or a school of small cories (panda, albino, peppered). Heck, you could even add another school of something like tetras if you wanted.

I think this stocking would look really cool in that tank:
1x RTS
12x tiger barbs (4x regular, 4x albino, 4x green)
12x black skirt tetras
1x bristlenose pleco
1x South American bumblebee catfish (I have one and he is the coolest thing EVER...next to my horseface loach, but they get too big for your tank)

You'd even have room for some cories, if you wanted.
Thanks! I really love your idea. I think I will use it except for the pleco simply because I think they are kind of ugly. I love the bumblebee catfish though!

Thanks for all the comments!!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I think common plecos are ugly, but I LOVE my bristlenose pleco!

My bumblebee cat is a ham. He hides in one corner behind the heater all day, but at night (especially when I feed), he's out patrolling the bottom of the tank.

Aug 22, 2010
Oh haha...I thought that bristles noses had bristles on their nose like normal plecos...but the bristlenoses are pretty cool looking.

Btw can anyone think of a more colorful fish that I could put in place of the blackskirts...they are kind of bland colored.

Also, I am planning on doing a rockscaped, unplanted tank with lots of caves, cover, and some dried bamboo for decoration. Would that work with the suggested stock??

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh haha...I thought that bristles noses had bristles on their nose like normal plecos...but the bristlenoses are pretty cool looking.

Btw can anyone think of a more colorful fish that I could put in place of the blackskirts...they are kind of bland colored.

Also, I am planning on doing a rockscaped, unplanted tank with lots of caves, cover, and some dried bamboo for decoration. Would that work with the suggested stock??
Take your pick of similar-sized tetras . . . . . ;)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I love Von Rio tetras, or red minors are very pretty as well.

What I'd do is go to AqAdvisor.com, put in "tetra" in the search bar, then start googling the tetras listed and see what you like. I know that sounds like the hard way, but it'd probably be the most effective.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
The list is endless for similar-sized/shaped but more colourful tetras. But to name a few..

Red phantom tetra
Serpae/Red minor tetra (very nippy btw)
Columbian tetra (my favourite)
Von rio/flame tetra
Bentos tetra
Lemon tetra
Red-eye tetra
Diamond tetra
Gold tetra
Emporer tetra

The list goes on and on. They're just a few commonly available, similarly shaped/sized ones to black skirt (or black widow) tetras. I'd replace the bristlenose pleco with a nice shoal of cories if it doesn't appeal to you.

And to add to the pleco debate, I rarely find any pleco "ugly" (though the bristles of bristlenose plecos verge on it for me..), my common pleco I had years ago which got to about a foot before it started disagreeing with my aquascaping and was sold on was an absolute stunner. The markings really come out when they grow to their potential.

It's probably worth noting that dull and excessively dark colours in most common plecos seen in stores and small tanks is due to the stress of being in a completely unsuitable tank. I'm hoping to one day devote a huge basement "pond" (kinda like those you find in public aquaria I guess) to a huge selection of larger (and smaller) plecos including commons. I love them :)

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
And to add to the pleco debate, I rarely find any pleco "ugly" (though the bristles of bristlenose plecos verge on it for me..), my common pleco I had years ago which got to about a foot before it started disagreeing with my aquascaping and was sold on was an absolute stunner. The markings really come out when they grow to their potential.

It's probably worth noting that dull and excessively dark colours in most common plecos seen in stores and small tanks is due to the stress of being in a completely unsuitable tank. I'm hoping to one day devote a huge basement "pond" (kinda like those you find in public aquaria I guess) to a huge selection of larger (and smaller) plecos including commons. I love them :)
That would be SO freakin' cool! I think commons are pretty when they get bigger...it's the amount of waste they produce that is the turn off for me.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
That would be SO freakin' cool! I think commons are pretty when they get bigger...it's the amount of waste they produce that is the turn off for me.
I figure a filter like those used for koi ponds would do the trick :) They're equally large and messy. Still, it's a far-off dream that may never happen.. now I just need to get rich and famous first.. *thumbsups