Newby - Help with my Filter Please

Sep 3, 2010
Hi guys!

Just got my first tank and it is sat in my bedroom full up but fishless!

My question is:

I have an HJ-311B multi-function fully submersible filter and pump as shown below

(I am using a small tube out the front with a nozzle on top, connecting to a long pipe sucking in air. Pushed out the end, or second nozzle, not the big black thing shown connected above)

I am quite happy with the buzzing noise of the filter but the bubbles are a little loud!

Is there anyway i can unplug the sit tube which goes out of the tank, yet leave the filter running? Will this push the water around ok without the air bubbles?

Also if that is not possible, can i bend the air intake tube to allow much less bubbles?

It came with no instructions sadly :(

I would really appreciate some help as i can sleep witth the bubbles going and i hear turning it off at night kills bacteria and fish!

So in brief:
Can i unplug the air tube from the multifunction device?
Can i bend the air tube to slow down air suction and lessen noise?
Is turning off at night a terrible idea?

Help please!:(

Thanks
Rob

Feb 27, 2009
Turning it off (other than when doing water changes) is a bad idea. The beneficial bacteria that will be in there need the water movement.

As far as the addition of the air, you can leave that part out. I grow plants in all of my tanks, and that's what I've always done to prevent the extra aggitation that the bubbles cause from off-gassing the dissolved CO2. And its a lot less noisy!

Sep 3, 2010
Excellent, so when i remove the air pipe there will still be a current then, just no bubbles in it?

Think that will be the plan then! Am i right in thinking the bubbles are just for looks or do they have some kind of role?

As you can see, the bubbles look a bit much in a small tank!

The filter is behind here but you can see where the pipe attaches and where the current comes from.

Thanks for your reply

Rob

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks! though i feel that is code for "Wont get many fish in there" haha :)

I think I shall clip my air pipe with a bulldog clip this evening instead of removing it from the system. This way i can allow the bubbles to start up again every day without having to keep putting my hands in and connecting/re-connecting the pipe.

I will wait a day or so more and possibly add 4/5 neons and leave it at that :)

Thanks again

Rob

Feb 27, 2009
Excellent, so when i remove the air pipe there will still be a current then, just no bubbles in it?
Correct.

Am i right in thinking the bubbles are just for looks or do they have some kind of role?
The bubbles do nothing to ADD oxygen to the tank, but they CAN increase the surface aggitation, which will allow more oxygen to be dissolved into the tank's water. You can do the same thing by the position of the filter itself, allowing the water's movement to create a small ripple (which is much more effective at introducing oxygen to your water).

Do you have plans for live plants?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona

I think I shall clip my air pipe with a bulldog clip this evening instead of removing it from the system. This way i can allow the bubbles to start up again every day without having to keep putting my hands in and connecting/re-connecting the pipe.

Thanks again

Rob
How many gallons exactly is that tank? Neons are actually very sensitive fish and require a large tank because they are so active.

And no, "always research your fish before stocking" is not code for "Won't get many fish in there." It's code for make sure to research your potential stock so that you are providing the best possible home and care for your new fishy friends instead of just sticking whatever in there because it looks cool.

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010

Thanks again

Rob
NA DUDE , no code intended, It doesn't matter what kind or size tank you have research and a knowledge of the organisms you choose to in habit your mini ecosystem have to be able to co exist together aswell as live in the environment you provide, ie aggressive fish with small peaceful ones, or housing fish from acidic water environments in a tank with a high ph.thats all
Its just something Ive learned the heard/expensive way over many years and its the best advice I could think of to give to someone whos just starting out

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I personally don't think 2 danios would be a good idea. They school and prefer to be in a group. You could place a betta or a couple shrimp in your tank. Not many fish can live in a tank so small. Also, from reading about the wall tanks, I know that the surface area on the top is very small and too many fish in even a large wall tank leads to very poor oxygen exchange.
I wouldn't do a fish-in cycle unless you can devote time to changing and testing the water every day. No matter what, you will need a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

Mar 8, 2010
This guys are actually right. Take enough of time before stocking fishes.. I lost many fishes because i didnt take proper care before putting in fishes. Specially the cycling part. I can be the best experienced person for u.. And Let me tell you.. From my personal experience that Put in a pair of Tin foil Barbs.. They are hard fishes and will survive in new tank even though it is not well cycled.