New Fish!

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
Huzzah! The day has come, much anticipated, where I can add fish to my tank! I've begun to slowly add fish! I decided on neon-blue dwarf gouramis. I also bought an American flagfish, because I hear said that they're great at keeping plants clean without damaging them. I have added one neon-blue dwarf gourami and one American flagfish.

Thing is, they spend all their time picking at floaty bits and the gravel. I gave a teensy pinch of flake and they've completely ignored it. Will they learn to eat the flakes or spend their time rummaging and scrounging?

They even seem to get along very well. The female flagfish tags along with the gourami, not nipping or anything, and just hanging out with the gourami in general. The gourami doesn't seem bothered by it.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Usually when you add new fish it's considered normal for them to not eat for a day or so because they are adjusting to there new environment. If they don't come around to the flakes maybe sinking pellets or bloodworms would be an option.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
They are just getting used to their new environment. It's fine if fish don't eat for a couple of days anyways. Do you know what the store was feeding them? Also, it's a good idea to start a routine - i.e., fed them at a certain time, or give a signal that it is food time (I usually gently tap the side of the glass, and mine are now so conditioned that if I even walk past the tank or open the lid for any reason they all rush to the surface expecting food).
Are you planning on adding more dwarf gouramis, or just having the one?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Unless you've got a massive tank (55gal or larger...the larger the better), I wouldn't get any more gouramis. They are related to bettas and as such are very territorial (not nearly as bad as bettas, but still bad enough for concern). You'll end up with one gourami being picked on constantly, stressing it out and eventually leading to the death of the more submissive gourami.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
+1 on bass. Those kinds of gouramis get pretty aggressive - or at least I never had any luck keeping them with others. You can do a male/female pair of pearl gouramis though, but you'd have to take your dwarf gourami back . . . .

Mar 8, 2010
Hey buddy, I suggest not to go so fast.. Give some time first.. U have just added new fish. Let them settle first.. Then u can think of adding other fishes. Dont be fast.. Be slow. It will be health with less mortality rate.