At the end of my tether

Sep 7, 2010
Try to make this as short as poss...well my 100liter tank burst and I managed to save all my fish, I bought a new tank set it up with the old gravel and filter to help it to hopefully cycle a bit faster....check water with test kits..ph fine and kh and gh all fine so put the fish in.....the water never managed to ever look crystal clear and a week later I woke to find all fish dead :(:( checked water and the ph was as acid as can it could get!!! So I scrubbed the tank and all the contents and started all over again.......tested the water all is fine put just two cold water fish in........the water is again cloudy parameters are all good so why oh why won't the water clear boo hoo *ALL**SICK*

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
You don't need to worry too much about testing pH and gH or kH. KH is only for saltwater, if I'm not mistaken. You need a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. It's obvious that your tank did not cycle and high toxins killed your fish. Clear water is not an indication that the water levels are healthy. You must test the water and do water changes daily until your tank is cycled. A low pH is likely a cause of tap water with a low pH. Do not add any chemicals to your water that affect pH. A high or low pH is okay for fish. When you add pH chemicals to lower or raise the pH, the fish go into shock and die. You did not need to scrub your tank. You removed good bacteria and now you'll have longer to wait until your tank cycles.
That's a 26 gallon tank. What do you mean you put two cold water fish in the tank? Do you mean goldfish? Two goldfish require between a 60 to 200 gallon tank, depending on the species.
I would return the fish you have to the store and do a fishless cycle of the water. For a fishless cycle, you will need a bottle of surfactant-free ammonia and liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Regardless if you do a fishless or with fish cycle you need to test your water for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites. Do you understand how/what the cycle is? If you have fish in the tank to do the cycle, you will need to do water changes daily, at least 50%.

Good Luck!

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I'm always afraid about busting tanks because I keep hearing about these horror stories!
Good luck with your tank and it will be important to follow the suggestions above in regards to cycling and having a proper liquid test kit.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
That would suck!! Water EVERYWHERE oh man I would cry!
It happened to me a few years back, my mum had knocked my 55 on the edge with a bag of shopping (with a bottle of wine in if I remember correctly), it didn't crack, didn't chip at all, until the middle of the night when it decided to hairline crack all up the side. Was woken up at 7am by my mum and went down to find water spraying out of it and the tank about half empty. Luckily only lost one fish, a flying fox, coz it'd managed to hide itself in a castle ornament. Didn't know where it'd disappeared to until I lifted it off the floor and a very dead fish fell out..

Littletank has given good advice here. It certainly sounds like your tank isn't cycled and you're having ammonia issues, so please buy the tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Apart from pH, the other tests really say very little about the water quality.

Mar 8, 2010
Hey buddy,

Let me tell you one thing and that is all the guys here sharing there knowledge are well experienced. Some of them are like you.. Who has lost the fishes including me... And some were told before they established there tank. So you need to believe them so that you can keep your tank healthy and Live with fishes in it.