Are My Calculations Correct?

Shauna

New Fish
Sep 14, 2010
Hoping someone can confirm my calculations!? 60 gallon at 75-76 degrees / 305 Fluval exterior canister filtration / 'tide' maker to increase surface movement / 2 bubblers / caves / floating plants.

Surface area is 672 so the amount of 5" fish comfortable wld be 12.4444444 ?

14 Sarassa comets / 1 pleco / 7 mbuna lake cichlids share tank. Currently
have too many comets (14 in total) as brought in to over-winter inside.
Smallest is 3"; largest is 7". I took an 'average' size of 5" for all fish to
get the 12.44444 amount for the size of tank.

I didn't take the 'adult' size of the comets as in the spring they will be going back out to the pond.

Yup, currently overcrowded but needing to know if the # I came up with is
correct so I know how many to rehome :) Thanks everyone!!!

ps The comets are now in spawning mode as being brought inside revved up their engines :) Not keeping eggs/fry tho - thought all fish deserved a tasty treat . . .

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
From what I understand Comets are cold water fish and prefer temperatures ranging from 60 - 72 degrees and cichilds prefer temperatures ranging from 73 - 82 degrees. So I would probably rehome all the comets.

With the tank being so overstocked you will need to be really good about your water changes.

Shauna

New Fish
Sep 14, 2010
The temp was lowered from 79 degrees to the current 75-76 to reduce the cichlids aggression (worked well - did rehome the most aggressive Lemon Drop cichlid as he was a terror to everyone). Can safely lower to 74 F for the cichlids now in tank.

25-30% water change weekly with UV treated water (purchased for local 'water' store). Doing this until the GH level lowers to 7.5-8.0.

I do realize the comets are cold water fish; however it is my understanding that they can tolerate much higher temperatures than that of 75 F up to a possible 95 F ('tolerate' to me means live but NOT thrive/more chance of disease etc so do not wish to chance that).

I know the tank is over stocked, which brings me back to my original question regarding whether my calculations were correct in amount of fish per available surface area.

ps I think I would rehome the cichlids before the comets as I just prefer the look/activity level of the comets. Want them ? LOL

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I don't usually calculate using surface area so I'm probably not the best person to answer that question. Usually I research how many gallons (per fish) that particular fish will need when it's a adult. There is a site called aqdvisor which can be a good starting point (not saying it's perfect in it's calculations) until someone with more knowledge comes along to help you.

Personally I don't think 12 fish of the species you are considering will be happy/healthy in that size of a tank but then again I'm not thinking in terms of juveniles. From what I understand (I'm no expert just going off of info I have read around) 1 comet should be kept in a 50 - 70 gallon tank (because they get so big and are big waste producers) although aqadvisor would say 3 comets. In regards to the cichlids 10 - 15 although aggression (like you experienced with you other one) could become a problem.

Want them ? LOL
Ummmm.....no they aren't really my thing but neither are comets. I'm kinda a tetra and puffer person. Lol!

Like I said I'm no expert so I would wait for someone else with more experience comes along and gives their two cents.

Last edited:

Shauna

New Fish
Sep 14, 2010
Darn this living in Northern Alberta *sigh. Would love it if I could keep the comets in the pond all winter, but we didn't make it deep enough (only 2 ft in depth at the 2 deepest points). I totally expected some of the comets to "die off" in the past 2 years since purchasing for the pond, but apparently I'm doing something right so far. Hardy little buggers lol

Found a home for only ONE comet (smallest) so far. Borrowing my brother's 20 (or 30 gallon, he doesn't quite know) tomorrow & then getting that one up and running for 2 or 3 of the comets till spring.

In hindsight we should have purchased the 1500 gallon tank/stand but didn't have the mulas. Might have to reconsider that now.

I was going by the surface area calculations as if I go by the "1 inch per gallon rule", I would only be 'slightly' over-crowded, and that DEFINATELY isn't the case. Am also going by their current size as moving back to the pond in the spring and hoping they don't grow too much during that time period.

Thanks for your input tho. Puffers are wonderfully interesting fish to watch! Full of personality :)

Feb 27, 2009
If you can seperate the tropicals from the comets, it will be easier to overwinter the comets. Cooler water will keep the water cleaner as their metabolism slows.

I have a friend up in your neck of the woods that keeps his in a small 'kiddie pool' with a net covering it (to prevent jumpers) in the basement, and keeps the temp in the 50s. With the water that cool, the metabolism slows considerably, and they only eat 2 or 3 times a month. He got the 'instructions' from his vet who is a fishkeeper too, and its worked for years for him. Some of his fish are 30+cm!

Shauna

New Fish
Sep 14, 2010
THANK YOU!!! That's just what we'll do :) Don't know why we didn't think of that sooner!

Oh, and that was a typo the last msg re 1500 gallon . . . shld have been 1500 ltr.

Feb 27, 2009
THANK YOU!!! That's just what we'll do :) Don't know why we didn't think of that sooner!
You're welcome!

Not everyone has a basement or enclosed porch they can use, but if you do, its a good fix for a temporary situation. Plus the pool is a vastly larger water volume than an aquarium. The don't need the 'up and down' area as much as the 'side to side' area. Please keep us posted on how the winter progresses.