what type of heater is this?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
That's some sort of Tetra brand heater, probably more than 200 watts. It the one they sell at Walmart around here, and the one I have. Its not the best heater, but probably not the worst one either.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Wouldn't the big question be, "Is it submersible?" I got a used one with the aquarium I bought and could not find one like it so figured it was older. I finally called the original owner and he confirmed it was NOT submersible. Just looking at it I couldn't tell.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
That looks just like the one I have, it's a cheap one from Walmart and even Petco sells them. Mine said to not submerse it past the little line on the body of the heater.

But either way it works for my tank and has yet to fail me, I'm at a constant 76-78 (depending on the house temperature).
Well How do u set this one? I adjusted the thing so when u turn it just above the minus sign the little light inside the heater turns on is that correct?? also could u send me a link of yours thats on the walmart website?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I guess I didn't read if it says its not submersible. That's for sure the one I have and I've had it completely underwater for like six months with no problems. I thought I was having trouble with it heating the tank, but that turned out to be more of a circulation problem I was having in the area my thermometer was at. Its cheap, but it definitely works even if you put it all the way underwater.

Well How do u set this one? I adjusted the thing so when u turn it just above the minus sign the little light inside the heater turns on is that correct?? also could u send me a link of yours thats on the walmart website?
I can't find the product at walmart.com for some reason. I did find this one:
Tetra Submersible Heater - 200 Watt Aquarium Heaters

Which I think is the one I have, which says it is submersible. Maybe it's my 10gal heater that isn't submersible..., I'll check once I get home because I recall wanting it horizontal but didn't do it since it said not to.

And with setting it I keep mine between the plus sign and that triangle shape in the center there. The light comes on when it is heating and shuts off when the temperature reaches that set point, then turns on to heat, then off again. But of course it depends on the gallon of your tank, and that position keeps it at 76-78 for me in a 36 gallon tank.

With these it isn't so much setting it to an exact temperature. The minus side is basically "cool" the plus sign is "hot" so the closer to the plus, the more heating it will do, thus increasing the temperature of the tank and just observe it for a day and see what it keeps the tank at and then you will know if you need to put it towards the minus sign or towards the plus sign more.

I had to fiddle with mine to get it to a point where it'd keep it constant.

I'm not sure what you mean by removing the cap? Setting it up was taking it out of the box, putting it in the tank, adjusting the dial, plugging it in and waiting to see where I wanted that dial.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If you can remove the cap, I would certainly be careful. Mine was all corroded on the top too, but it turned out that was just from splashing. I may be over cautious, but the problem will occur if you submerse it and then go to adjust the temp - water, electricity and you don't mix! Best have someone standing by that know CPR. The other little problem you have without instructions is where those suction cups attach - they can not be over the element.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
If you can remove the cap, I would certainly be careful. Mine was all corroded on the top too, but it turned out that was just from splashing. I may be over cautious, but the problem will occur if you submerse it and then go to adjust the temp - water, electricity and you don't mix! Best have someone standing by that know CPR. The other little problem you have without instructions is where those suction cups attach - they can not be over the element.
Yeah its not submerged at all and the suction "cup" is towards the top