All You Need To Know About Testing Freswater Tanks!

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
PH TEST

Why Test pH?

pH is the measure of acidity of water. A pH reading of 7.0 is neutral. A pH higher than 7.0 is alkaline, and a pH lower than 7.0 is acidic. Maintaining the aquarium at the proper pH ensures optimal water quality.

Recommended pH Levels
A pH of 7.0 is ideal when keeping a community aquarium containing a variety of tropical fish. Goldfish should be kept in their own aquarium and prefer a pH of 7.5. Many amazonian fish like angelfish and neon tetras, prefer a pH of 6.5 to 6.8. Mollies and swordtails thrive at pH 7.2 to 7.5.

Frequency of Testing

The pH should be tested weekly, since natural materials in the aquarium can cause pH changes.

AMMONIA TEST

Why Test For Ammonia?

Tropical fish continually release ammonia directly into the aquarium through their gills, urine and solid waste. Uneatend food and other decaying organic matter also add ammonia to the water. a natural mechanism exists that controls ammonia to the water. A natural mechanism exists that controls ammonia in the aquarium- the biological filter media. It is made up of nitrifying bacteria. however, as with any natural process, imbalances can occur. Testing for the presence of toxic ammonia is essential. ammonia in the aquarium may damage gill membranes and prevent fish from carrying on normal respiration. High levels of ammonia quickly lead to fish death. even trace amounts stress fish, suppressing their immune system and thereby increasing the likelihood of disease outbreaks and subsequent fish loss.

What the Test Results Mean

In a new aquarium, the ammonia level may surge to 4 ppm (mg/L) or more, and then fall rapidly as the biological filter becomes established. the ammonia will be converted to nitrite (also toxic), then to nitrate. This Process may take several weeks. In an Established aquarium the ammonia level should always remain at 0 ppm (mg/L); any level above 0 can begin to harm fish. The presence of ammonia indicates possible over-feeding, too many fish or inadequate biological filtration. the ammonia level is not an indication of the nitrite level: Nitrite is another toxic waste material which must be tested seperatley.

Frequency of Testing

Regular testing is necessary to make sure the ammonia level is safe. Aquarium water should be tested for ammonia every other day when the aquarium is first set up, and once a week after the biological filter has been established.

Detoxifying Ammonia

To detoxify ammonia, use API Ammo-Lock to instantly lock up ammonia. AMMO-LOCK does not remove ammonia, it simply converts toxic ammonia to a non toxic form, Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia, even though treating with ammo-lock has made it non-toxic ammonia converting it to nitrite and then to nitrate.

Filtering Method to Remove Ammonia in Freshwater Aquariums

Filter Aquarium water with API Ammo-Carb or AMMO- Chips To remove ammonia and improve water quality.

Water Changes

Changing 25% of the aquarium water will reduce the ammonia level. In an emergency, a daily water change may be required over several days. Be sure to use a water conditioner like stress coat or AMMO-Lock, When Adding tap water back into the aquarium.

NITRITE TEST

Why Test for nitrite?

Nitrite is produced in the aquarium by the biological filter. Beneficial bacteria in the biological filter convert toxic ammonia into nitrite (also toxic). The Biological filter then converts nitrite into nitrate. Testing for the presence of toxic nitrite is essential so that once detected steps can be taken to remove it. otherwise, Nitrite in the aquarium will prevent fish from carrying on normal respiration. High levels of nitrite quickly lead to fish death. Even trace amounts of nitrite stress fish, suppressing their immune system and thereby increase the likelihood of disease and susequent fish loss.

What the Test Results Mean

In new aquariums the nitrite level will gradually climb to 5 ppm or more. As the biological filter becomes established (in 4 to 6 weeks), Nitrite levels will drop to 0 ppm. in an established aquarium, the nitrite level should always remain at 0 ppm; any level above 0 can begin to harm fish. the presence of nitrite indicates possible over-feeding, too many fish, or inadequate biological filtration. the nitrite level is not an indication of the ammonia level; ammonia is another toxic waster material which must be tested seperatley.

Frequency of Testing

Regular testing for nitrite is an essential part of routine aquarium maintenance. Aquarium Water should be tested for nitrite once a week to make sure the nitrite does not reach an undesirable level.

Reducing Nitrite in the Aquarium

Use API Nitra-ZORB to remove nitrite from freshwater aquariums. Nitra Zorb is a rechargeable filtration material that removes nitrite from freshwater. Making partial water changes can also help reduce the nitrite level, especially if the initial nitrite level is very high. Use API Stress Zyme to help Speed the Development of the biological filter. Adding API Aquarium Salt will reduce nitrite toxicity to fish while the biological filter is removing the nitrite.

NITRATE TEST

Why Test for Nitrate?

Nitrate is produced in the aquarium by the biolgical filter. beneficial bacteria in teh biological filter convert toxic ammonina and nitrite into nitrate. A High Nitrate level indicates a build-up of fish waste and organic compounds, resulting in poor water quality and contributing to the likelihood of fish disease. Excessive nitrate also provides a nitrogen source that can stimulate algal blooms. in the opinion of many aquarists, maintaining a low nitrate level improves the health of fish and invertebrates.

What the Test results mean

In New aquariums the nitrate level will gradually climb as the bilogical filter becomes established. a nitrate level of 40PPM or less is recommended for freshwater aquariums

Frequency of Testing

Regular testing for nitrate is an esscential part of routine aquarium maintenance. Aquarium Water should be tested for nitrate once a week to make sure the nitrate does not reach an undesirable level.

Reducing Nitrate in Freshwater Aquariums

Use API Nitra-Zorb to remove nitrate from freshwater Aquarium. Nitra-Zorb is a Rechargeable filtration material that removes nitrate from freshwater. Making Partial water changes can also help reduce the nitrate level, especially if the initial nitrate level is very high. However, because many tap water supplies contain nitrate, it can be difficult to lower nitrate levels by this method. API Tap Water Filter will remove all pollutants, including Nitrate, From Tap water, Making water changes safe and effective.

Resources and Information: Taken From API Master Test Kit Instructions!

Hope this All helps Everybody!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
Very informative, I'm sure many newcomers will find this useful and show them why we always seem to badger people to test, test, test! :)
Yup, These are not all my words these are pulled straight from the producers of the #1 Products made for fish tank care!

My Comment to People to who think that this company makes the test kit to just rip people off by charging them 35 bucks for it:

"These company's are not making you buy these products to rip you off, its well worth the 35 dollars! They are Making these products and selling them so high because it last's for so long depending on your set up and there also making them to keep your fish alive!! So suck it up and spend the 35 Bucks!" Said By Me Mjnorcal922 :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
In a healthy tank, you should have no need for Ammo-Carb, AMMO-Chips or Nitra-ZORB. Just as the filter manufacturers recommend you change the filter media every few weeks, everyone is out to make a $.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
In a healthy tank, you should have no need for Ammo-Carb, AMMO-Chips or Nitra-ZORB. Just as the filter manufacturers recommend you change the filter media every few weeks, everyone is out to make a $.

well yes i know every company is out to make money but i think this company is out to help keep your fish alive at the same time making money

Feb 27, 2009
Please don't misunderstand my comments, Mjnorcal922. I think they make a great product. I have used them for 20+ years with both fresh and saltwater tanks, and for other tests besides what is in the 'Master' kits. I recommend their Master kit to everyone starting a tank.

I do like Seachem's dechlorinator and plant ferts also.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
Please don't misunderstand my comments, Mjnorcal922. I think they make a great product. I have used them for 20+ years with both fresh and saltwater tanks, and for other tests besides what is in the 'Master' kits. I recommend their Master kit to everyone starting a tank.

I do like Seachem's dechlorinator and plant ferts also.
i didnt misunderstand them :p

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
Yes, well i just found out the deuce @ my lfs lied to me. he told me my p.h was fine...i just looked at the test chart and this is exactly what the water looked like when i seen the test tube bottle when he tested it. The water i used is not my fish tank water im not yet home to be able to test it but yes my pH was at a 7.6 and the guy told me it was fine............................................

Feb 27, 2009
Well, at least I'm honest.

For the time being, I will just test my water at work.
I guess I don't understand how the size of the aquarium determines if you would spend money to buy a test kit. :( I've tested water on tanks as small as 3 gallons and as large as 580 gallons, plus a few ponds.

I'm sorry that I said anything and I'll refrain from commenting further, Alex2290.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
What is wrong with a pH of 7.6? Maybe I have an older version of the API Master Freshwater test kit, but if I had a tank with a reading of 7.6, I'd test with the High Range pH test to see if its actually higher, since 7.6 is the highest on the Low Range pH test. My tap water is in the low 9s this time of year.

Last edited: