White Cloudy Water - 24hours into seeded cycle

Sep 3, 2010
Guys

I am 24 hours into setting up my new tank.
I have:

Added two cups of the gravel from my cycled aquarium
Put some of my filter sponge from cycled aquarium into new aquariums filter
Added weed from cycled aquarium
Cleaned filter of cycled aquarium with new aquarium filter
Added deco from cycled aquarium into new tank

I have noticed that 24 hours in, I am getting white cloudy water, you can see it being pushed around by the filter. Is this a good or a bad sign?

(Done no testing)

Help

Thanks
Rob

Feb 27, 2009
It sounds like a lot of the bacteria is in the water column, looking for a place to live. Are you feeding the new tank with a source of ammonia (either actual ammonia or fish living in the water)?

Sep 3, 2010
I have been putting fish food in there every 12 hours and am putting the third in now.
I havent got a fish in there yet. Do you think it would be ok?

I have my fish in the cycled tank and also my apple snail there. I dont have any amonia here and the shops have closed, any ideas?

Thanks
Rob

Sep 3, 2010
I thought it might be bacteria as this happened several weeks into my first tank, but i was a bit suprosed it happened after 24 hours. I now dont know whether to add a starter fish or pure ammonia! Hmmm

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Sounds like you're close to cycled. Yes, it's a bacterial bloom. Don't put fish in until you test the water. Just keep doing what you're doing until you know the god's honest truth of what your test kit tells you: 0 Ammonia/0 Nitrites/10 Nitrates. Then you can ssssslllloooowwwwwllllyyyy move your fishies over species by species.

Sep 3, 2010
I have however been left with a white film all across my glass! Looks horrible, you can see it here where my hands left clean areas earlier when they were in the tank.

Should I leave this on here for a bit or clean it off?

Thanks
Rob