setting up tank for angles any suggestions ????

fred1985

Medium Fish
Sep 24, 2010
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
I have recently bought 25 gal tank and I was thinking about setting it up for an angel fish. I am not sure what way to go with setting the tank up to make it simulate the amazon waters that they originate. I was told to put peat moss under my gravel to help get the ph at a good level and it will also give that tea color affect to the water also I was told to pout in a floating plats. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what why I should set up this tank????

Oct 3, 2010
Detriot Mi
Im pretty sure someone told me this already , where every you get angels make sure there a breeding pair and pair off and , "you will have a war in you tank" , i have some angels they really donent need nothing special , you could probaly fit 2 in there no more than 3 though.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I thought angel's needed to pair off but I wasn't sure.
Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't two angel fish be healthier and happier in a tank about 40 gallons or more?

Last edited:

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I agree that it's probably not wise to keep a pair in any less than 30 gallons. Their length and body size isn't the issue, it's the height of their fins. I had to temporarily move a pair to a 20 gallon when their 55 cracked a while back and they were unbelievably cramped.

They're very sociable fish and do enjoy company of their own species so I would call 30 gallons the minimum tank size and two the minimum number. A good rule of thumb for angels is ALWAYS keep them in even numbers, odd ones out will be picked on. A spacious tank is still best though as with all cichlids they do have their squabbles now and then, even in pairs.

Also as Dylandrewsdad quite rightly said, you wouldn't need to do anything special with the pH as long as your water isn't especially alkaline. Unless wild-caught (which are rare, and expensive), standard angels are generally unfussy when it comes pH.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
what do you plan on feeding them flakes, well i dont feed mine flakes i feed them freeze dried brine shrimp and they go nuts when i feed them
Any fish should be given a variety in their diet, just as would be found in the wild. Flakes/pellets (depending on which you prefer...I don't like the mess flakes make, so I feed pellets) should be supplemented with brine shrimp, bloodworms, and other live/frozen foods. Feeding one type of food solely can lead to constipation and isn't covering the fish's nutritional needs.

Also, if you feed ANY freeze-dried foods, make sure you soak it in warm tank water first to soften it, otherwise it will definitely cause constipation.

I was planing on going with 1 or 2 juvenile angels. As far as feeding them I have all my other fish on 4 types of food’s ( flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp). That is what I was planing on feeding them. So should I add peat to the bottom of the tank ????? And what types of plants should I use???

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I was planing on going with 1 or 2 juvenile angels. As far as feeding them I have all my other fish on 4 types of food’s ( flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp). That is what I was planing on feeding them. So should I add peat to the bottom of the tank ????? And what types of plants should I use???
The problem here is juveniles don't stay juveniles for ever and they WILL outgrow your tank. As I said in my previous post two is in my opinion the absolute minimum. You don't need to do the peat things it just gets messy and smelly and plants is entirely up to you.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
You don't NEED peat because like dylandrewsdad said they don't need the water extra soft unless they are wild caught. You can add peat if you like the look, but you don't need it. What is your lighting on the tank?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Discus are extremely sensitive to water parameters, so they aren't usually recommended as a beginner fish.

Personally, I think you could do a lone angel in your tank and it would be fine. I have a single angel in my 55gal and he is perfectly happy. Just like everything, you're going to get different answers from different people.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Look at my signature at the bottom of my post. It has a list of the fish I have with my angelfish (in my 55gal tank). Harlequin rasbora, platies, swordtails, cories, a bristlenose pleco. I also have kept glowlight tetras and a dwarf gourami with my angel quite successfully (I just didn't like them anymore, so they're going to be shipped to a friend in Florida in a couple of weeks).

You can put some of the larger tetras (cardinals, black neons) with angelfish as well. Basically, anything that will be too big to fit into a 6" fish's mouth and isn't a nipper would work with angels.