Minimum size for a fry rearing tank?

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
So, I have livebearers, and I guess that means I'm going to have fry that need to be reared to the size that the pet stores will accept them. Currently they are living in my 16 gallon with all my other fish but I can see this is going to become untenable, even though I don't have any males so eventually I suppose my female guppy will stop producing offspring.

I was thinking about setting up a second tank for rearing the fry, but I don't have a lot of room. I'm not sure what the smallest sized tank would be that would even be worth setting up for this purpose, but thought I'd get some advice. The fry would only be in this tank from the time they reach about an inch long until they are big enough to go off to the pet store as something, hopefully, other than feeder fish.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm looking at setting up a fry tank as well in my empty ten gallon. I'm looking at a DIY sponge filter powered by an air pump. I'm not sure how to do this though...

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
Well I think I've decided that I want to buy another 16 gallon bow front like the one I have XD While it will be mostly for fry, at least while I have livebearers, I still want it to look as nice as my existing tank so I can enjoy it.

Feb 27, 2009
Well I think I've decided that I want to buy another 16 gallon bow front like the one I have XD While it will be mostly for fry, at least while I have livebearers, I still want it to look as nice as my existing tank so I can enjoy it.
You have been officially infectect with MTS!!! Welcome to the club!

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
I don't care about getting money for them, I'd just rather not feed them and watch them grow only to have them eaten by some other fish. I guess it will depend on how attractive they look when they get big. I have no idea what the father looked like so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'm hoping someone might want them because the mother has proven to be really hardy and also resistant to guppy wasting disease, which is more than I can say for most of the rest of the guppies around here :c

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm designing a new stand that I plan to build in the next year or two, and I'm planning on incorporating 2 smaller fry tanks under my main 40 gallon, but 10s won't fit. Is 5.5 a decent fry tank size, or should I make the design work with 2 10s?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Hmmm.

Two 10s would be ideal for me too since I already have one, I'm just not sure how this is going to fit. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Actually, what would really be ideal would be a 20 long divided in half. Hmmm. Options, options...

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
may i ask do you have any other or plan for other livebeares? if this is your first fatherhood i would suggest a hospital tank, small works faster and costs less for meds