nitirtes stuck???

donle

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2010
well my ammonia is down to 0...but my nitrite is sky high...and nitrates are high also....is it possible for a cycle to get stuck...not sure what is going on.

Feb 27, 2009
well my ammonia is down to 0...but my nitrite is sky high...and nitrates are high also....is it possible for a cycle to get stuck...not sure what is going on.
Can you post actual numbers for nitrite and nitrate? Is this a fish-in or fishless cycle? If the levels are too high, it can be harmful for the beneficial bacteria.

donle

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2010
ammonia is 0 nitrite is about 5.5 nitrate is 20...i did a water change 2 days ago...water cleared up after about 24 hours..then 24 hours later it was cloudy and those were my numbers. i've had the tank up for about a month and a half now.

Feb 27, 2009
ammonia is 0 nitrite is about 5.5 nitrate is 20...i did a water change 2 days ago...water cleared up after about 24 hours..then 24 hours later it was cloudy and those were my numbers. i've had the tank up for about a month and a half now.
What test kit do you use? I've never seen a reading of 5.5 for nitrite.

donle

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2010
i use freshwater masters test....and if I do a 50% water change wont that restart my cycle?????? trying to be patient but geeze i want to add some fish!

Feb 27, 2009
i use freshwater masters test....and if I do a 50% water change wont that restart my cycle??????
No, doing a large water change will not restart your cycle. The beneficial bacteria you are growing lives on the filter's media and any hard surface in your tank (gravel, plants, rocks, driftwood, other deco, etc.).

trying to be patient but geeze i want to add some fish!
So this is a FISHLESS CYCLE?

If you are using the API Master Freshwater test kit, there is no reading of 5.5 for nitrite. The only readings on the color chart are 0, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, and 5.

Do you mean the nitrites are 5? or 0.5?