I Got a Male Betta!

Dec 10, 2010
So I took everyone's advice and also bought a book on Betta fish while my tank was getting ready. Today I went to petsmart and they checked my water for me, and since they said it was perfect I went ahead and bought my new Betta. In the book i bought (Betta: Your Happy Healthy Pet) they mention to feed them twice a day, only what can be eaten with 5 minutes. The only reason I mention this is that other sources online, as well as the man that helped me at petsmart, mentioned that he only feeds his betta twice a week. Does anyone have any thoughts on which advice i should be listening too? I just want my new guy to be as haapy and healthy as possible in his new baby biorb home.

Thanks so much for all the feedback already, and I'll be looking forward to all of your expertise, thanks again!

-Matt

erc2995

Small Fish
Mar 13, 2010
i would probably do once a day, try to give it a variety of food too they dont just east betta bites.. mine loved freeze dried blood worms more than anything

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Congrats on getting the betta. Does the betta have a name? I agree you could probably just do once a day for feeding. Blood worms are good....all my fish are crazy for them!

Did the guy at petsmart tell you your actual water readings? If they didn't next time you get your water check ask for actual readings for your records plus then you can double check to make sure they are right (water and what the petsmart people tell you). Sometimes Petsmart employees can get it wrong.

Oct 15, 2010
Congrats! How is he doing? Any pictures? I currently have 7 bettas and a bunch of little betta babies.

Bloodworms are the best food (in my opinion) for bettas. They are much better and the fish love them. I like the freeze dried worms because they float, and my bettas eat all of them. Frozen sink, and the fish miss most of them. I feed mine about 4 pieces once a day, skipping 1 day a week. Remember- a bettas stomach is about the size of 1 of his eyes.

Do you have a heater? Filter? Heaters are needed no matter what people say. If you do not have a heater I reccomend getting one right away. You should also get a liquid (not strip) test kit.

SonofaGun

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2010
^You wouldn't want to use bloodworms as the sole or even main food source. A high protein diet like that can cause blockages that lead to bloat - I have lost a betta like this before, even after fasting and feeding peas. And that was with a feeding schedule of once a day, fasting once a week and being very careful about the amounts fed.

Oct 15, 2010
^Really? I am sorry to hear about that. I forgot to add- I also feed nutrafin basix color enhancing flakes. As long as you are careful, and do not feed too much you should not have any problems. I am also trying some peas just because bettas will eat them, and they do help, even if they are not constipated. I have not had any problem with the bloodworms, and I have been feeding them for a long time now.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Two foods that I have feed bettas are raw fish flesh (salmon & catfish) and vestigial winged fruit flies (drosophilla melonagaster). When I buy catfish or salmon for my dinner, I cut a very small raw bit off and mince it into smaller betta bite sized chunks. Mine would take it off the tip of a finger.
The fruit flies were much favored and are bite sized for a betta. I used them in my biology classes. The vestigial wing variety do not fly as their wings are deformed and the deformity will breed true generation to generation. (There are several varieties that do fly and they will get lose and be all over the place.) They can be kept in small containers and are alive when the fish eat them. A starter culture can be shipped from school supply outfits that offer biological products. The supply companies also sell culture (food) media that is easier to use than bannas and it does not smell so much. I have managed to keep cultures ongoing for many many months in the past. Many other fish that feed from the surface will take the flies.

Oct 15, 2010
Do you have a heater or filter? Also, what size is his tank? I spent quite a bit of money on a 1 gallon tank, only to get a 10 gallon 2 months later. What kind of food are you feeding him now?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I like the freeze dried worms because they float, and my bettas eat all of them.
There's only one problem with feeding freeze-dried bloodworms that haven't been reconstituted (soaked). They can cause SERIOUS blockage for your fish. Also, freeze-drying removes many of the essential vitamins and nutrients that make bloodworms so good for your fish.

You can feed frozen bloodworms very easily by buying a pair of clean, unused tweezers and dangling the bloodworms just below the water level. I do this with all my bettas (yes, with all SEVEN of them) and they love it. It also provides them with interaction with their person, which they love. For my big tanks, I just dump the cup of bloodworms into the tank and let them have at it.

@Paige, I was wondering (because I feed mine exactly the same, especially the thaw in the cup then poor in method) my LFS mentioned needing to thaw in the cup, then re-rinse and re-rinse several times to get the water somewhat "clean" because it can cause a raise in nitrates eventually?

I've never had the issue, but was just curious and since we're on the topic of feeding the freezer foods!

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I feed my fish blood worms at least 5 days a week (it was all I gave my discus and I have lots left over) I just break a piece off an throw it in! It melts in a few seconds and everyone is fat and happy! If I have a new or shy fish I defrost them first in some tank water so I can make sure that fish does not have to fight over food.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
@Paige, I was wondering (because I feed mine exactly the same, especially the thaw in the cup then poor in method) my LFS mentioned needing to thaw in the cup, then re-rinse and re-rinse several times to get the water somewhat "clean" because it can cause a raise in nitrates eventually?

I've never had the issue, but was just curious and since we're on the topic of feeding the freezer foods!
I've never had a problem. I just dip a cup of tank water out of whichever tank I'm going to feed the worms to, let it thaw, then dump it in the tank (for my community tanks). I do the same thing for my FOWLR tank, only with mysis shrimp. You want to make sure you use tank water because if you don't and you use tap water, it can cause some serious problems (same as doing water changes without dechlorinator).

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I had always just kept one betta so I didn't realize the difference in personalities. I now have three and if I could find a place I would have more. One is in my 16g community tank with a full mirror background. He couldn't care less - he just swims around with the platys and acts like one of them. I'd like to put a couple of mollies in that tank, but some mollies I find are a little aggressive and I don't want to rock the boat. The second betta I tried in my 26g tank and he was scared so I had to remove him. I slid a mirror in as his background in his personal tank and that was the first time I actually saw a betta flare! I immediately removed the mirror. He now has an oto in with him who he occasionally notices and if the oto moves he might chase, but when the oto stops he never touches him. The third one apparently likes the current - he will stick his nose into the waterfall from the filter. He looks at himself in the mirror, but he doesn't flare. He moves all over his 5g hex tank and is very showy and beautiful to just watch. I can see where people get hooked on bettas, but I just don't know where to put any more!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
One is in my 16g community tank with a full mirror background. I'd like to put a couple of mollies in that tank, but some mollies I find are a little aggressive and I don't want to rock the boat.
I wouldn't be concerned about mollies' aggression...I'd be concerned about the fact that they won't fit in a 16gal and they produce a TON of waste. Mollies get anywhere from 4-6" and don't belong in anything less than a 30gal. :)

I can see where people get hooked on bettas, but I just don't know where to put any more!
Divided tanks are your friend! ;)

@Paige, I figured as much and do use tank water. I was just curious about that but couldn't imagine it'd be that much of a pollutant unless it was like a 1 gallon tank...which would be all bad all around haha.

@Thyra, that's my favorite thing! The personalities! I've had a few bettas, never more than one at a time, but I could see myself getting addicted to having multiple and buying lots of tanks for them. It's actually kind of sad because so many people think they are ALL so mean, kind of like the stereotype of pitbulls everyone assumes ALL are mean, etc. Well I first had my betta and thought "Oh I'll keep him with my guppies temporarily he can fight them off worst case" ended up with them ruining his tail-fin. Then I moved him to my 40 gallon temporarily thinking the same thing (stupid me) and the tetras nipped at him. I have a pretty mellow sweet betta he is now all by himself in the 36 gallon and swims with one Von Rio who refuses to be caught and moved and they literally swim together and bump into each other and are so fine together. It's cute.

But it was heart breaking to have fallen for such a stereotype. Dumb me. But I have had a betta who would attack any and everything possible..

Oct 15, 2010
Divided tanks are my friend for sure! I wish I could get more bettas (I have 7, and bunch of fry )...I will admit...I am a betta lover :p.

WOW! I never realised how bad the freeze dried worms are! (or could be) A friend of mine recommended them to me when I had my first betta. They seemed to be working fine. I wouldn't want to risk it. I will definitely try frozen! (THANKS!!!!) One question...sometimes if I thaw the frozen worms in cup the water turns really red. What can I do about this (if it could be a problem)?

OH how my bettas have different personalities! One always just looks mean...he is really nice... Even at the pet store you can sometimes see it.

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
One question...sometimes if I thaw the frozen worms in cup the water turns really red. What can I do about this (if it could be a problem)?
The red water is no problem. Your filter will clear it up quickly. Also, it helps your betta figure out that there's nummies in the water because the red in the water is blood from the bloodworms and they can smell that. :)