Help Fin Rot/Nitrite Level

Jan 9, 2011
I'm a newbie into the fish world after winning a Goldfish at a fair back in early November. The day after we went out and bought a tank (30 litres) and on the instruction of the guy in the pet shop put our new pet in straight away as living in a bowl was far worse. And our fish was perfectly fine. We waitied about a month and then got another fish to keep him company and all has been well up until about 2 weeks ago. I have regularly changed the water at about 20% every week since (using API goldfish aquarium cleaner and Goldfish protect in the new water and a small dose of aquarium salt) and been testing the water each week as well. The tank has a rena superclean 40 filter and we've been using API Crystal dose which I have changed every 3 weeks as instructed. Recently I have noticed that the Nitrite level has gone shooting up and that the newer fish has been floating to the surface, gulping for air. Having done a bit of reading I opted to do more frequent and larger water changes in order to get the level down again. This has not been successful, as it is still very high and now our original fish appears to have fin rot as has a whiteish tint to his tail fin and is also very larthargic (this has happened in the last week). I am hesitate to just add chemicals for the sake of it and would like some advice on what to do from now on.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
30 gallons is really only large enough for one gold fish. Gold fish will EAT and EAT and EAT, how often are you feeding them?

I would do a large water change daily until you get this under control and try to hold off on feeding for a few days, after you get the tank under control try feeding small amts every 3rd day. Also try to rehome one of the gold fish.

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks for your quick reply. We feed them once a day a finger pinch full of food and the tank packaging stated we could have up to 3 fish in it (I actually thought 3 was too many so opted for just the 2). I will continue with my 50% water changes and will continue to add the solutions to the new water but will do this every day rather than every 3. We will hold off feeding them for a few days and then will continue as you say for every 3 after that. Will this sort out the fin rot, or do I need to get a treatment? Rehoming really isn't an option as we have become quite attached to the 2 and don't have enough room in our house for another tank.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Yeah fin rot is caused by poor water. So hopefully you get the water under control and everybody lives.

Fish food packages always suggest WAYYY more feedings then what the fish actually need. They do this to sell more food.

Watch your fishes bellies, if they start to sink in feed more often, I would feed as infrequently as possible provided that you don't have shrinking bellies. Less food = less poop = slightly less problems with your goldfish.

Oct 29, 2010
Her post says 30 liters: that is eight gallons.

Two goldfish can only survive in such a small tank with really, really frequent water changes, and you should try to upgrade as soon as possible.

As stated by Nanu, goldfish need about thirty *gallons* apiece, or 113 liters.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I don't think 1 goldfish could survive in a 8 gallon tank let alone 2.

You will need to get a larger tank (60 gallons minimum) or re-home the goldfish soon.
I would suggest re-homing the goldfish and purchasing a betta and maybe some shrimp for your 8 gallon tank. I understand that your attached to the goldfish but being in such a small tank for a extended period of time....the quality of life for your fish will be poor (fin rot is probably only the beginning), even with daily 50% water changes (which can get annoying after a while).

Your fin rot may or may not clear up but 50% water changes daily will certainly help as well as feeding less.

Pet stores and product packing always suggests more fish than is realistic or healthy because they want to sell their product/products. Unhealthy fish are more costly than healthy fish.

I'm not trying to sound mean but realistic!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I agree with achase. You might be able to get away with a 30 gallon tank for a bit but in the end a 55 (48" long) will make the fish WAYYYY happier.

30g per fish translates into 60g but a 55 would do just fine. Resist the urge to buy more fish just because it seems you have a lot of space.

Honestly gold fish really shouldn't be kept in anything but ponds. That are outdoors as they pollute the water badly and have unrealistic requirements for tank size in relation to their size.

Your common gold fish will also get VERY large eventually. A small tank stunts their growth but causes internal issues as their organs will outgrow their bodies:(