Baby Sunfire Platy

Feb 27, 2011
So I have a sunfire platy and it gave birth to 21 fry's but 1 of them got out and got eaten by my ID shark so I put them on a 2 gallon tank so now my question is what do i feed these litluns? I heard from someone that fish flake food that are powdered works but I dont see them eat >___< and what would be the best filter for this 2 gallon tank that won't suck up my babies thanks in advance

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
They might need to be a little bit older before they'll eat, but eventually they'll eat crushed up food. I'd go with a sponge filter, which is pretty easy to make out of a sponge and an air pump. Google around a bit and find a design that works for what you've got.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah, you want a sponge filter - it won't suck up any fry. You can also buy liquid fry food from your fish store . . . . If you haven't put any gravel down in the 2g, good. It will make it easier for you to suction up the uneaten food that falls to the bottom. Fry need really clean water to grow properly.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
They'll start eating when they're 1-2 days old. Liquid fry food has always worked best for me, but powdered flakes are fine.

Also, your ID shark is going to grow up into a 4-foot monster, so I hope you have a 300 gallon tank/indoor pond ready!