cloudy water please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Cloudy water is usually a sign of a bacterial bloom. What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? What size tank do you have, what's in it, how long has it been running, and did you cycle it?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yes, I agree with laura. It's just a bacterial bloom. I had it for a few days when I first got my 3 Platies, but it went away in about a week. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal and EVERYONE experiences it. There's no need to freak out. For you, it might be gone within the next 5 days or so. :)

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes, I agree with laura. It's just a bacterial bloom. I had it for a few days when I first got my 3 Platies, but it went away in about a week. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal and EVERYONE experiences it. There's no need to freak out. For you, it might be gone within the next 5 days or so. :)
A bacterial bloom is not 'normal' and it indicates that the water quality is poor. It usually causes an ammonia spike which is toxic to fish.
It also indicates an uncycled tank and/or under-cleaning and/or overfeeding.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Well, sorry. I was told that it was normal and that it meant that the tank was going THROUGH cycling. But, hey. Sorry if I'm wrong..... I'll just go away now.....

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Haha, don't worry. I think what laura meant was that it is not normal to go through a cycle if the tank is running or has fish within,

Ideally even when cycling (with fish) you don't want a bacterial bloom, I have experienced one, i'm sure everyone has,

hey guys wow thanks for your feedback im stoked my tank is a 60L tank i have had it for about 3months i let it run with no fish for about 2 weeks before putting fish in it i have x5 approx 1inch albino guppies (2 females & 2 males) and 6 fry
ive 'just' done my readings
AMMONIA: 0
NITRITE: 0
PH: 6.6

Again thank yous all for helping me with this

Jul 28, 2010
a fishless cycle or just had it running the filter with no fish ? Keep checking those numbers but for the most part your just now starting a fish in cycle with all zeros for readings.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
ok... so here goes,i shall try and explain in the basic terms..

A fish tank is an ecosystem... there are microscopic bacteria that will live pretty much everywhere in the tank, (except in water) they basically consume wastes... if wastes are allowed to build up (even in an external filter) and there is not enough bacteria the water may become toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms.

basically with no fish in the tank there was little or no waste. so the bacteria were growing slowly if at all... it takes about two weeks for a tank to get a good amount of bacteria but i believe this is when waste is present... if you had plants and wood etc it may speed up..

So in your case.. two weeks was good but not much bacteria is present.. in time it will be, the guppy is a hardy (resilient) fish so it will likely survive.. the fry may not i'm afraid.. all you can do is wait for the bacteria to build up. Keep doing regular water changes of water that is around the same temperature as the tank..

And make sure it is treated with aqua safe.

The water will likely clear up in a week or two at the most. Keep doing ph/nitrite and ammonia checks every day or two and let us know if the levels are high (or low for ph)
Then when they seem normal for a while you can leave them and do them once every two weeks or so.

(it's not good i know but i haven't done one in my tank yet and it's only been running 4 weeks :( Naughty me)
I guess it's just because i know the cycle has happened... the water is crystal clear. and the fish can handle a nitrite spike, on top of that i've been doing regular water changes and keeping a close eye on the fish's behaviour.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
When in doubt, do a partial water change, making sure the water is properly treated and close to the tank temperature. I was treating an injured Bluegill in a 10 gallon hospital tank for two weeks once. Did a 100% water change every day. The fish is fine today

Don't let the ammonia get over .25 ppm or the nitrites over 1 ppm.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
No problem Fishy,

This site will teach you a lot, i learnt almost everything i know from these guys on here.
The water changes sombunya described would be great, it makes the water clearer for your fish and less toxic for them too, however when you do them you have to take into account for:

PH- If your ph in your tank is lower/higher than your tap water and you change a huge amount of water very quickly, your fish could get even more stressed and die. Ph can be altered by ornament filter media etc so it's best to check that they both match.

Temperature-

Amount- Obviously you cant do 100%at once, as your fish would be flapping around dieing, The most i would do at once would be 50% Unless the fish are suffering from acid burns from low ph Then i'd do at least 75%. Then once that's settled you could do another 50% But anything over 30% will do fine for you at the moment,
When i do my weekly water changes i do around 25% But the water is clear and no issues to be recorded. And my filter copes realy well with the amount of water and the clarity.

If my tank was essy i'd forever be cleaning Haha

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
One other thing is the hardness of the water, but that's a litte bit complicating even for me, Some fish like soft water, some like hard water,

Hard water is better as there are more minerals etc that stailise the water.
Soft water can cause PH 'crashes' which are a sudden change in ph these are acidic and will likely kill all fish.

If you wanted to be that picky with the water change then you could be haha

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
hey fishy while danstevo is totally dead nuts accurate there his advice is a bit advanced

just suck half the water out every day and fill it back up with de chlorinated water that is the same temperature

keep testing your water and when ammonia and nitrites are gone and nitrates are detectable then do a water change weekly

dont try to change ph or hardness as it tends to cause more issues with your fish then help it could potentially give them