How Many.

Sep 19, 2012
Clearwater, Fl
Is this an ok thing to have in a 30 gallon aquarium?(Freshwater)
5 neon tetras
2 platy's
2 molly's
1 blue gourami
1 swordtail
This just a possibility.
feel free to add or subtract or revise.
I appreciate it!
:)*DRUMMER*

Feb 27, 2009
As long as there are no aggression issues, the stocking level sounds fine for a 30 gallon tank once the nitrogen cycle is completed. Be aware that the livebearers can add a LOT of fry over time.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's the blue gourami that I would be most concerned about regarding aggression, but they are usually okay with other community fish. They can become quite nasty to each other and other kinds of gouramis, however, so don't mix 'n match gouramis at some later stage. Also to minimize aggression try to keep only male or only female livebearers. Males will sometimes harrass the females badly. Be aware that even if you have no males, the females may still give birth as they may come carrying fry even if they don't look pregnant when you get them from the fish store.

Sep 19, 2012
Clearwater, Fl
The only difference is that I have the 2 platys, a molly and the swordtail already and they don't have any problems in my 5 gallon aquarium. Also, the only fish I will be buying are the tetras and the gourami.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I like emperor tetras. I used to raise the wingless fruit flies (vestigial winged drosophila melanogaster)(these are genetacially altered and do not fly, so are not an issue in the house.)(Helps to be a bachelor.)
I had an emperor that found the flies just bit sized. It would make a dramatic dash to the surface and grab a fly. Fun to watch. My appologies to any fly lovers on the forum.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Angels get fairly large if they live long enough. They are somewhat territorial but not as much as some other ciclids. The reason I would not have one is that they are fairly slow swimmers with trailing finnage and feelers. The emperiors might well decide to take bites from their fins as will other fish. But if that did not happen, by some standards, theangel would outgrow the tank.
I have kept them in that sized tanks in the distant past and it can be done. A lone angel or two could be kept but this gets into the thorny issue of big fish in smaller tanks. Some have strong views on this kind of stocking and will likely blast you soundly should you actually decide to do so. Let us hope they understand that you are asking ahead of time and give friendly reasoned responses.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I will add that I inherited a 30gallon tank with two angel fish that had been there for about 9 years. (It was my grandsons' and when they went to college no one had room for the tank) I have had it for almost two years now and things appear status quo. There are some smaller tetras in with the angels. I have no room for a larger tank. I have no idea how old the fish were when the kids bought them.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
So it wouldn't be absolutely horrible to have an angel in my tank? What if I didn't have a Gourami?
Hello; Some time ago a question similar to this appeared on the forum. The resulting verbal back and forth was testy to say the least. I composed and posted some comments and will re-post them. An answer to your question is yes you can keep an angel in a 30 gallon tank, but as to if it would be "absolutely horrible" is open to question. It can be done. I would not suggest it for a new fishkeeper.