Am I OVER Equipped?

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
I am just now starting the fishless cycle on my new tank. Its been an adventure.

Previously I have had betta tanks (1 to 3 gallons) and my 10 gallon tank which has a few tetras and a betta. I bought a used tank (was previously a salt water tank) had to be cleaned and readied. Its a 29 gallon tank. I bought an Emporer 280 for it, and have a 300W adjustable Fluval heater in it.

I'm not concerned about over filtering so much, but the water is really moving! My previous tanks have all been pretty calm (I mostly have had bettas in the past and thats what they seemed to like) and the movement is making me nervy.

Is it too much? Or do I just need to get used to it?

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
If the water is moving a lot, then you know water circulation and aeration is good. If you get too worried, or if the noise gets annoying, you can put the foot part of a pantihose or tie a thin sponge on the output of the filter. That's what I did, and it doesn't affect water flow much, just slows it down enough so it isn't annoying.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Googirl you get an A+ for creativity....

I don't think you can really over filter. I suppose it would depend on what you are planning on putting in the tank. But in most cases over filtration is recommended.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Thanks! It runs in the family to make something out of nothing or just spare supplies :p

I think a lot of filtration is a good thing instead of something to worry about, unless it starts spraying over the side of the tank :p

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You can actually get too much water movement for some types of fish. They won't like it and will look for a calmer area and just stay there. Bettas are one I know for sure don't like a lot of movement. I believe some of it might depend on whether they are lake/pond type fish or river fish. I suspect angels or other fish with a lot of finnage don't like a lot of water movement.

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
Thanks so much for the replies, and the tip Googirl! Lol

I haven't put any fish in yet. I'm still trying to cycle it, so I guess I will look for fish that like moving water, and keep my bettas in the calmer water. I'm really hoping to get another small group of tetras and possibly a pair of gourami. It's only 29 gallons so not much more than that will fit!