Chlorine

Feb 27, 2009
Its a math problem. 0.2 'parts' chlorine per 'million parts' water.

To make it easier, multiply both by 5, and you have 1 part chlorine to 5,000,000 parts water.

That's 1 gallon of chlorine per 5,000,000 gallons of water, or 1 cup chlorine per 5,000,000 cups of water. Whatever the measurement, the numbers stay the same.

A dripping faucet wastes water, and they say one gallon has has 90,840 'drops' of water.

So, 1 drop of chlorine in 5,000,000 drops of water. Just figure out how much water is 5,000,000 drops by dividing it by 90,840. It turns out to be one drop per approximately 55 gallons of water.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Oh, cool! I like math when it makes sense and is actually useful! OK, so it doesn't take much to kill a fish. What happens when you just take tap water and put it in the tank without dechlorinating it? Does that harm the fish much?

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Oh, cool! I like math when it makes sense and is actually useful! OK, so it doesn't take much to kill a fish. What happens when you just take tap water and put it in the tank without dechlorinating it? Does that harm the fish much?
Hello; One of the things about chlorinated water is that with time the chlorine becomes inert. A lot will depend on when the tap water had the chlorine added and how much the water company used. I have for decades used untreated tap water in my tanks. I draw it into containers that I allow to sit around for a few days. I have not used any water treatment chemicals in a very long time.
Let me caution that some water treatment companies use other chemicals such as chloramine. This stuff is supposed to be more long lasting and does apparently need some treating chemicals.

To be more specific it is risky to add untreated tap water directly to a tank.

Feb 27, 2009
Chlorine that has been dissolved in water does not become inert over time. It dissipates into the air. Aerating the chlorinated water will speed up this process. Once it is gone from the water, it is gone.

Chloramine does require treatment and is by far the most common chemical used in the United States by local water companies due to the fact that it does not offgas over time the way chlorine alone does.

Unless you know for sure, it is wise, in my opinion, to treat the water as if it has chloramine.