Oscar fish attacking my convict cighlid

Feb 11, 2013
Hi I have a albino Oscar cighlid and a convict female cighlid, along with others in my 55 gallon tank. We have had them for maybe two weeks or so and at first the Oscar and other cighlid we like best friends they were near each other all the time never aggressive. Well my convict laid eggs a few days ago and starting yesterday the Oscar started nipping at my female convict. My oscar has the Ich, since yesterday we got medicine for him though. But I'm worried and not sure why he's all of a sudden going after my female cighlid. Is it because he wants her eggs? Or just crabby because he's sick? Please help if anyone can. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2013
Thank you for the advice. We are having so much trouble!!! We just did our first water change two days ago but my husband put too much water conditioner stuff in it and the fish were swimming to the top of the tank so I figured we had to take some water out and add fresh water so we did, but we lost one of our little cighlids:( he was found dead this morning. And all the other fish are not doing much but sitting at the bottom of the tank not swimming around not eating, idk what to do!!!:(

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You need to get a water parameter test kit ASAP and get a read on your water parameters.

You need something to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. An API master test kit is a good one. Petsmart and Petco typically have them.

In the meantime, water changes are good. I don't think you can add too much water conditioner. I know that's the case for products like Prime.

Joel

Feb 27, 2009
I don't think you can add too much water conditioner. I know that's the case for products like Prime.
You definately need to follow any water dechlorinators' instructions. They work by reduction (which will take oxygen out of the water), and using too much will cause a lack of oxygen in the water. Prime, for example is safe up to 5x the dose and can be used to detoxify nitrites, but the instructions say to increase aeration while doing the 'overdose.'

Feb 11, 2013
Thank u, we checked our water and everything is good. The fish r still yucky, seems like they r dying, their eyes r cloudy and they have a slim coat on them too. They r at the bottom of the tank not eating or doing anything.

Feb 27, 2009
Thank u, we checked our water and everything is good. The fish r still yucky, seems like they r dying, their eyes r cloudy and they have a slim coat on them too. They r at the bottom of the tank not eating or doing anything.
What are the actual readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? 'Everything is good' does not give much information so that we can help you.

As on your other post, more information is needed to help you figure things out. Cloudy eyes are a sign of poor water conditions.