Fish on side help!!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Ok but this is an anomaly right?
I asked that question because I thought you said it was normal for your tank to show nitrite and ammonia. Now its not showing either, but you don't seem too be concerned with that. Its pretty important for us to know which is normal with your tank.

Mar 1, 2013
Okay, well I took the water this morning to my lfs and they said my readings were fine that they think its bladder infection from eating a whole big snail, which they said to give cheetah a pea. He won't eat them though.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
As far as I know, none of that is indicative of a normal, established tank, brackish or otherwise.
Joel is absolutely right. I would add that it is very, very important that you understand that ANY amount of nitrites or ammonia sustained over a period of time IS lethal. Its like slowly being poisoned. I would bet any amount of money on that being the culprit of your recent troubles. Imagine if you had a small carbon monoxide leak in your house. Won't kill you today, but might in a year.

As I said before you need to figure out why your tank is not cycling properly. To say that because its brackish it won't show nitrate, is wrong. Even marines show nitrate to some extent, it just must be more closely monitered than fresh.

You have a couple of places to start looking. Your chem. additives, your water changes or your filtration. The tank cycle is basically an inevitable, natural phenomenon. Something has to PREVENT it from happening properly.

Feb 27, 2009
Nitrate-0 : my tank is brackish water it is suppose to be at 0.
Why is a brackish water tank 'supposed' to have zero nitrates? Except when initially set up and prior to completing the nitrogen cycle, I've never had a brackish tank with zero nitrates. Are you using an sump with an algae scrubber in it? If so, you should never see ammonia or nitrite readings at all.

Nitrites goes up sometimes but never deadly over .5.
Any nitrite level can be deadly over time. It slowly suffocates the fish as nitrite will cross over the gills more readily than oxygen.

Okay, well I took the water this morning to my lfs and they said my readings were fine that they think its bladder infection from eating a whole big snail, which they said to give cheetah a pea. He won't eat them though.
I wonder what 'fine' readings are to the LFS? Actual numbers in ppm would be very helpful.

I've kept puffers for decades (freshwater, brackish, and full marine), and have never had one get a 'bladder infection' from eating a snail.

Last edited:

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Can you confirm that he ate a snail? I could be mistaken but I don't remember that being stated earlier.

Mar 1, 2013
I have stated it many times about the snail. I had four big pond snails I bought from a different lfs and was going to breed them. My son put one in and cheetah attacked it and ate the whole thig almost. It was same size as him! My little one never touched it. He then started acting a little weird the rest of night and in the morning he was spinning like a football and now swims on side and is still eating. I fasted him for two days, tried to feed him a pea and he wouldn't eat it. I have him a blood worm two days ago. He ate it quick! I didn't feed him yesterday though. He still alive and swims to me in his quarintine tank.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Kat, everyone is trying their best to help by sorting out the info you're giving.

The fact still remains that you need to get your own (quality) water parameter test kit, not test strips, not the LFS.

You still haven't stated what water dechlorinator (if any) you're using, what type of filtration you run, what type of bio media it may have and how you maintain it. These are all crucial things to maintaining proper water params.

Mar 1, 2013
Okay how do I fix the problem you guys have mentioned? The filter I use is a tetra filter, I have two heaters, I use marine salt, once a month I use jungle start Zyme, and on my tap water I use aqueous water conditioner

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I don't think that jungle zyme is doing much for you. As far as you can tell is there anything that would be contributing to the ammonia levels or inturrupting the cycle? How often do you change/clean the filter media? As I said earlier it could be over feeding? Or is it possible something is dead in your tank? It will be difficult to analyze your water params accuratly w/o an api liquid test kit.

Mar 1, 2013
They are only fish in tank. I have java moss. I do not over feed. I feed them three times a day but very small amounts. They do not even get big Timmy's from my feedings. They get blood worms only on Monday night since I do a water change every Tuesday

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
This is probably way off the wall - but could this be anything like dogs getting bone splitters from cooked bones? Are the puffers actually eating the shell of the snails?

Mar 1, 2013
He ate shell and everything. They are suppose to eat snails the size of there eyeball at least once a week because puffers have beaks that grow and don't stop so they et hard things to keep them trimmed. This one time he ate one the size of him and was acting funny afterwords.

Feb 27, 2009
Is the sick puffer still in "Tupperware" as you mentioned? If so, how is that being filtered?

How often and how are you cleaning/changing the main tank's filter media (as FishDad asked)? Something is throwing off your biological filtration.