Cycling without substrate

aryle85

Small Fish
May 15, 2013
Illinois
My question is can I begin to cycle my tank before I add substrate and deco? The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if I want to try live plants or just go with plastic. But since it will take a few months to cycle I wanted to get it started.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you didn't have any other active tanks, I'd say it would be worthwhile to start cycling now. But since you already have a cycled tank, there really isn't going to be much benefit to cycling in the tank itself - the bacteria growth on the glass and in the water is minimal. Most of it is in the substrate and filter media. Since you have an established tank already, what would work best is to hook up the filter for the new tank, and run it on the old tank for a few weeks- the bacteria will colonize the filter media. When you have the new tank set up, transfer it over and voila: cycled!

Keep in mind that you don't want to move the established filter over to the new tank until you do get fish, or else the bacteria could starve themselves out.

Feb 18, 2013
As far as your questions, yes you can cycle anything regardless of the decor, however use your cycled tank to your benefit, as capslock suggested.

If you plan to have future tanks, or don't want to keep a hospital tank setup all the time, make a sponge filter, leave it in your 55 gal tank, when you start a new tank, add it to the new tank, or hospital tank, as needed. Just be sure if you use it for quarantine's that you're not re-introducing stuff to your community tank.

Sponge filters are great to increase your bio filter capacity, also in a pinch the continue to filter your water if your pump or hob goes out.

aryle85

Small Fish
May 15, 2013
Illinois
how long (ie days) should I wait between running the filter media and transferring the fish? I am moving my 3 mollies to this tank (29g) can I just set it up, fill it up, and transfer the fish?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
how long (ie days) should I wait between running the filter media and transferring the fish? I am moving my 3 mollies to this tank (29g) can I just set it up, fill it up, and transfer the fish?
When I set up my 55g, I let it run overnight just to verify no hardware issues. The next day I added 4 zebra danios from one of my other tanks.

I set up the 55g with some established sponge media, ceramic rings and gravel from my 29g. I put that all in the 55's new canister filter.

I never saw any ammonia or nitrites. In fact, ~6weeks into it (fully stocked) and it barely registers any nitrates, but I do have some large live plants in the 55 and I still do 15-20% weekly water changes on it regardless of the super low nitrates.

aryle85

Small Fish
May 15, 2013
Illinois
Great! Thanks! :) One last question, how do you make a sponge filter? The filter for my new tank is smaller than my established one so it takes smaller cartiges so I can't just use that.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've never made a sponge filter. I suppose you could, but you can mail order them so cheap from eBay, I can't see doing it any other way.

I used the sponge and other bio media out of a clear plastic box/bubbler filter I had running in my 29g, when I "seeded" my 55g.

Search eBay for "aquarium bubbler filter" or the likes.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The filter for my new tank is smaller than my established one so it takes smaller cartiges so I can't just use that.
2 easiest options:
A) Set up the actual new filter on the 55g, complete with its own cartridge. The fish won't mind the extra flow.
B) If there is any extra room in the 55g filter, cram the small cartridge behind the normal one. This will work in most HOB filters as most have a little space around the intended cartridges.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've got the following sponge filter in one corner of my 29g. When I do water changes, I'll normally lower the water level below the outlet on this filter. It's amazing the amount of water that's pumped out the outlet, simply by 'bubble power'. IIRC, this filter was mailed to my door for around $5.

bio-sponge-filter-betta-fry-aquarium-fish.jpg