New tank issues

Jul 12, 2013
California
A friend of mine was going to flush her fish(which is pretty healthy looking at it). I had to take it because I couldn't let that happen. It is a 20G freshwater with a convict cichlid. He came to me in his old water which had awful water. So I took 10G out of my 90G and put conditioned tap into it. Added gravel and a brand new filter amd put a cup or so of my gravel. The water tested fine for about a day and now the water is going to crap again. Amm is .5 and Nitrite is at 1..... My boyfriend and I have been doing 50-75% water changes every day for a few days. It's still at that... I'm going to add another 50% of my est. water and more gravel. What else do I do??

Feb 27, 2009
Continue doing water changes. "Established" water does not help, as the beneficial bacteria lives on hard surfaces. The gravel will help, and if you can squeeze the filter media from your established tank into the new tank, it will give it a boost in the good bacteria.

What dechlorinator do you use? Many also bind ammonia and nitrite temporarily. The water tests will still show the ammonia and nitrite but if the conditioner has bound with it, it will give your beneficial bacteria a chance to catch up.

Jul 12, 2013
California
Okay that sounds good, ill put another cup or two of my gravel and some of my filter media from it. The reason I added my water was because I thought the fish would appreciate good tank water. Guess not...

I'm using API Stress Coat as a water conditioner and seems to work. I'll definitely keep doing water changes also.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
The reason I added my water was because I thought the fish would appreciate good tank water. Guess not...
Please don't misunderstand what I said, katelynthekatfish. Nothing wrong with using your other tank's water, it is just not going to help establish the beneficial bacteria you need to cultivate. Also, keep in mind, there is the possibility that your healthy tank has parasites or other organisms in it that although harmless to your other tank's fish, could get the new cichlid sick. If his/her tank has not been maintained properly, the convict could have a weaker immune system. Just something to think about. And the possibility of transmitting something that could harm the new cichlid is there if you use gravel, the filter media, or water.

I'm using API Stress Coat as a water conditioner and seems to work. I'll definitely keep doing water changes also.
It depends on the specific formula of API Stress Coat you are using if it can handle ammonia also. I don't use that brand currently, but I believe most will bind with ammonia. If the label says that it removes chlorine and chloramine and detoxifies ammonia, you have the best possible type of water conditioner.

Keep in mind, if the Stress Coat does bind with ammonia, its turning it temporarily to ammonium (less toxic at low doses that ammonia). However, the ammonium will read as ammonia on the test kits. So, the fish may be 'safe' from the ammonia but the test results will not show that. Once the beneficial bacteria have reproduced enough to handle the ammonia (and ammonium) in the tank, the levels will drop even on the test kit.

Last edited:

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have used amquel+ with good success. stuff stinks to high hell before u add it to the water though lol. once it's in the water it has no odor. but OC has hit every nail right on the head by the sounds of it. it seems like the normal cycle.

Jul 12, 2013
California
The water changes haven't dropped any of the levels yet. Still working on getting gravel to it. Tomorrow that will happen (the tank is at boyfriends house)...

I thought about relocating the fish to one of my tanks but I believe she would be beaten up by my Oscar or earth-eater. She is only about an inch long. Don't know how well she would do in my 25G either. Do you think she will be okay for the time being? I know the high levels are not good and are hurting her but how long can they take being in water like this?

Thank you for the quick feedback!!!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
convicts seem to be pretty tough fish and can probably handle it. when you do the water changes how much water are you replacing? i would think a 50% would reduce the measured ammonia by half obviously. there should be a drop and if not there is really only one other place the ammonia could be coming from, and that would be your tap water. maybe try testing the tap water, if that comes out clean i would recommend larger water changes. from the 75% to 90% range if you are not doing that already.