Just when you think you've seen it all...

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
So...

Doin' a water change on my freshies today and I noticed these little reddish-orangish TINY little bugs hopping around the water's surface.

"Oh great. What hell is this," I thought to myself.

After some angry research turns out they are harmless and common little inverts called Springtails. I'm curious, after a close inspection how many of you find that you have them too. They are about the size of a salt grain, maybe smaller and appear to be most active during a water change.

Nothing quite says "Zen-like serenity" like bugs in the bedroom.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
They are in both my wife's and my kids' tank. I wonder how they hitchhike? My kids' tank has no plants and nothing was transferred from another tank. Amazing.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Cool! I haven't seen anything like that in mine..

The only time I noticed a worm/bug-like critter was in my planted 10g. They were very thin, small, white spaghetti looking worms. Noticed several of them one day, none the next. None since.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've got them in my cichlid tank. they seem to hang out and eat the algae on the driftwood that pokes out the waters surface. I have not noticed them in any other tank though.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
they said the would test the water table in the area and get back with me. have not heard a word. but i have not had any issues since i stopped doing such large water changes. i'm doing 25% or so every week instead of a 50% every 2 weeks. at least with that tank. I still do a monthly 75% with my guppies, green sunfish, and cichlid tanks. I never have had a single issue with those tanks. and i know alot of yall think monthly water changes are to long but works for my tanks. guppies breed and grow like crazy, green sunfish is just tough. I'd have to pour a gallon of ammonia and bleach in the tank to kill him lol. obviously i'm kidding and i know those 2 mixed is a HUGE no no. but anywho my cichlid tank has triple filtration. and the water stays beautifully clear that long.

I'm still thinking it's the gases in the water that caused the problem. what the gases may be is unknown at this time. but with the slower smaller amounts of water during the change i think have helped alot and has fixed the issue.