White foamy Bubbles at the top of my tank

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hell All,
I am experiencing White foamy Bubbles at the top of my tank. Location is top right side, front of tank, across from filter and heater. Above where all my Goldfish prefer to hang out. I did a water change about 4 days ago and usually keep a 10% once a week water change, just to stay on top of parameters and good water for my buddies. (Not sure if this is the right thing to do?, So, please comment). I am new to this so I would love all comments that can help me take care if this situation (hoping my fishes are okay). I have read that it may be bubbles nest, filter too high, good/bad gas exchange,too much air-stone pump-age(both are small bullet shaped located together on right back side), good/bad bacteria, change out 20% water immediately, DO NOT change water and leave alone, and the list goes on, :)
So.. Should I disturb it? Should I change the water? Should I not feed for a day? Should I use less light, air, filter, fish? I need some advice and help! lol
I hope i entered enough info to help answer my question. Thanks to all ...

55 Gallon Fresh Water Tank
30/60 Gal filter(New filter w/ water change).
15 Gal filter(New filter w/ water change).
2 air-stones being pumped by air pump for 55 Gal.
Both filters sits about .25 " above water line.
Water quality _ Clear
Tank holds
1 _ 6" Tin foiled Barb
2 _ 4" Pictus Catfish
4 _ 1" 1/2 Goldfish
1 _ 1" Goldfish
Levels in tank are
PH = 7.4
AMMONIA = 0.25
NITRITE = O
NITRATE = 0
Temp _ 78'F
Light _ about 10 hours a/day bright white, and a dark red a night(where you can only make out the outline of each fish against background)
Feed twice a day, one in am about 7 am, one in evening about 6 pm( small/ med pinch size)
Food type _ Flakes, baby shrimp, granules

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I don't think its bubble nest, I think only bettas do that but I could be wrong.

I don't mean to freak you out but you have bigger problems on your hand. I take it that tank is pretty new, or you just added a bunch of fish. Your ammonia/trite/trate are clear signs of a tank that hasn't begun to cycle yet. Your ammonia is toxic to fish. That then gets converted to nitrite, also toxic and then finally to nitrate which should be kept below 40ppm with water changes. This is called the nitrogen cycle and it takes about a month to complete. You get get alot of info on line about it.

Here is what I would do. Immediate 50% water change, maintain temperature though. Then dose with two capfuls of Seachem's Prime. This will detox any chlorine in your water when you do changes but will also detox ammonia and trite whilst mid cycle. Then add a Seachem's ammo alert card. When ever that card begins to change color, 50% change and dose with Prime again. You'll probably have to do this for a few weeks until the beneficial bacteria establishes itself.

This is the most common issue with people who just get into the hobby, It happened to me a few times as well. So not a big deal, but if you do nothing, the combination of ammonia and nitrite will more than likely kill your fish.

BTW welcome to the most relaxing hobby around!

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thank you FD,
I didn't think it was a bubbles nest, due to most of the info on internet stated that it usually occurs with Bettas. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but gut feeling told me I might have a serious issue on my hands. I will do a 50% water change now and re-post when done. All I have to work with now to add to new water is Tetra Agua Water Clarifier and Terta Agua Easy balance as this was recommended by F.S. I use 50% distilled water and 50% boiled water only because i don't have the proper chemicals (not sure if this is root of problem, or if its ok to do). I also don't have a second tank only two five gallon buckets, as I wasn't aware of the N.C. Will my fish survive in the 5 gallon buckets while it takes the time to attempt a Nitrogen Cycle? Should I just stick with the water changes more frequently till i get a second tank? Any and all information is appreciated in helping me become a knowledgeable hobbyist. Thanks for the welcoming, and yes very relaxing hobby till now, being an amateur i'm afraid of killing my fishes as I really enjoy them and hate to lose anyone of them.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
No leave them in the tank. Here is a brief overview of the nitrogen cycle...

Fish waste and gill functions give off ammonia, a first line of bacteria grows, then consumes that ammonia and produces nitrite as its waste product. A second line of bacteria will grown and consume nitrite. Its waste product is nitrate, which must then be removed with water changes. Keep testing all three daily. When you start seeing nitrite you know the cycle has begun. You should then see nitrate a few weeks after that. So ammonia goes down, nitrite goes up. Nitrate goes up, nitrite goes down. In a properly cycled and established aquarium ammonia and nitrite will read zero.

A few recommendations... purchase the API Master liquid test kits. They are way more reliable than the test strips. Its about 25-30 bucks. Purchase prime and an ammo-alert card. They will make cycling a lot more controllable. Ask your fish store for a piece of filter media from their tanks. It will help jump start the process by introducing bacteria.

BTW you can use your tap water without boiling, just add prime per the recommended dosage.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
All I have to work with now to add to new water is Tetra Agua Water Clarifier and Terta Agua Easy balance would this be sufficient enough to treat water before i add?
Should I continue to use 50/50 distilled and boiled being i don't have proper conditioners on hand?
Also I currently don't have a second tank only two five gallon buckets, will my fish survive in the 5 gallon buckets the time it takes the time to attempt a Nitrogen Cycle? Or should I just stick with the water changes more frequently till i get a second tank?
Thanks in advance

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I hope someone else will speak up, but from what I have read I don't think distilled water and boiling water are necessary - You will be getting rid of some of the necessary minerals in water. I have well water so I am not using any of the water treatments. I know there are several out there and the point is to get rid of the chlorine in treated water, but I am assuming what you are using does that. Prime is the one I hear most people on this forum using.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thanks Thyra,
That was the main reason I was boiling it so i can be extra safe, but then I read some discussion about if you boil water it removes the Chlorine but will not remove fluoride or other chemicals that may harm my buddies. Not sure how much of my water actually has fluoride or other chemicals but wanted to be as safe as possible with my lil buddies. But good info to know..

BettaBabe

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2014
You don't need to put your fish in a bucket. It will stress them out and the bucket isn't going to be any more cycled than the tank, you know? You don't need another tank either, unless you had other reasons for that...
Just keep doing your big water changes, and buy an ammomia card at the very least. I'm not familiar with the Agua products, but I know the Seachem Prime will remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, chloramine, all the bad stuff. You dont need any other water conditioners if you get this one. It's not too expensive and it lasts a long time.
A new tank will take a month to cycle, so don't get heartbroken if you lose a few fish before then. It's almost a guarantee. Luckily it will give you a reason to reward yourself for your awesomely cycled tank with a trip to the fish store and a few new buddies. : )

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
Awe BB, not the news that I wanted to hear but thank you for being honest and realistic about it... I will order the Seachem Prime right now and hopefully it's not too late for my lil buddies for me to can get the water parameters where they need to be. Thanks to all for helping me out..

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
amquel+ works realy well as well. a friend of mine in the city uses it. one way to pretty much remove a cycle in a way is if you have access to a friend with a tank. if the filters use the same media you can swap. the filter media from an established tank will be LOADED with beneficial bacteria. that bb will help colonize the tank. that's how i have done new tanks. i never see any raise in ammonia or nitrites. to me it's the fastest, easiest, and safest way to cycle a tank.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
Awesome, thanks E7 much appreciated. So, my next question would be to all of course. Do you think it's a good idea to visit LFS and see if they would allow me to have/buy some/part of their filter media in one of their tanks? and if so is it a good idea? or should I say are there more pros to it than cons. I'm sure that all depend on how they take care of their fish, no? I just wanted to be certain prior. The good news is that with the 50% water change mostly all of the bubbles are gone and seem to be dissipating as I type. I also read that some people change the filters with every W.C.? And that some don't change the filter w/ every W.C.? Which one is best, only because as i am understanding correctly the filters hold plenty of the good bacteria? If anyone can clear this up for me, just so i understand and begin to take the right steps in this GREAT hobby. Thanks all

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
what people do during their water change, is take out some tank water into a bucket, then remove the filter media and rinse in the old tank water to clear out the built-up junk. then they put the filter media back into the filter. this preserves the beneficial bacteria in the old filter media. filter media should not touch untreated tap water or be allowed to dry out. keep it moist while doing filter maintenance. not a big issues because most water changes only take a few minutes depending on tank size. you would only run into drying out issues i'd imagine if it took you an hour or more.

you can take used filter media from your LFS. it should not harbor any diseases. but if you are worried, just try to cycle your new tank the best you can with the fish you have.

BettaBabe

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2014
I agree, you don't want your new tank to suddenly get a bad case of ich, because you never know when it comes to the LFS. Also, you might end up asking a 16 year old on their first day of work who doesn't know anything about fish, and is totally perplexed by your request. I would personally only ask that of someone who's fish tank you know and trust. It's not really necessary. As long as you're doing the water change-treatment your filter will colonize in a few weeks.
Changing your filter media too often would probably hurt your cycle at this point. Anyone who does that probably is doing like monthly water changes. Even once a month seems a bit excessive to replace your media. I would just check it and rinse it off with your water changes, and change it when it gets gross. By then you will have plenty of bacteria growing on all the hard surfaces of your tank and it won't hurt your cycle.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
@Newman, thanks for the advice. I feel good knowing that I did rinse the filter media w/ water siphoned out for the water change versus running it under some tap water, which was what I was doing from the beginning, ugh :mad:!!lesson learned.
@BB, ha ha hit the nail on the head with what you wrote. That was my worry from the beginning of going to LFS and asking, only because with my luck I would get the inexperienced employee. You guys are great and I am loving this site more and more. So much info that im gathering #lifting weight of shoulders.... Thanks again all you guys rock *celebrate

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I wanted to make sure to read through all the responses because one of the big things that stuck out for me was the changing of the filter media with very water change. I'm glad someone else mentioned keeping it but rinsing it in old tank water. I tend to keep my filter media until it disintegrates.
I use prime in my tank, but this is my first time using it (it has helped immensly with my current crazy cycle issues). In the past I have used the stuff you mentioned without issues. You just have to keep on top of your parameters and water changes during the cycle. Even using test strips until you get your liquid test will be helpful. You can pick up some test strips, but an adequate pack needed for the cycling process will often times cost more than just getting the liquid kit, and the liquid kit will last longer. I have an LFS that actually knows what they are doing with the liquid kit, so I am using them until I can scrounge enough money for my own (though the last test was done at a different store where the employee scewed up part of the test because he was trying to mulit-task too much). I have used the strips in the past with ok results, but overal, the liquid test kit is cheaper and more accurate. It takes some getting used to, but I prefer that one now that I have had experience with it (being a bit on the OCD side, I would get really frantic about getting everything PERFECT, but I have learned to chill out about it).

Good luck with the tank, and welcome to the most stressful relaxing hobby there is ;)

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
@MdngtRain, I totally understand the OCD thang, I myself am always trying to make things as perfect as i can... But I have to admit I did go into this without the proper research. I do have Prime and Liquid Strips heading here should arrive today if not tom. But from what I can see, water is clear, fish seem to be enjoying themselves with lots of swimming and riding the bubbles to the top :) and most importantly no more bubbles. So i plan to change the water once again today just to stay on top of things as much as i can, but I do appreciate all the info and the welcoming. Thanks all

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i run well water not city water so when i do a water change and clean the filters i run the filters straight under the tap. no chlorine to worry about. but it's not a good idea to replace filter media unless it has a hole in it or otherwise damaged to where it wont work. My filter media was blue 2 years ago. it's white now lol. thats right. been running the same filter media for 2 years. also with a planted tank you will not want the carbon in the filters if you are dosing chemicals. it will remove the chemicals you are dosing.

Also pretty much everyone on here including me would recommend liquid test kits opposed to the strips. the strips don't seem to be as accurate and don't seem to last as long due to humidity and other variables.

And i think most of us have come into this hobby pretty wet behind the ears. I know i ran into alot of problems when i started. but once i did me research and everything it became very easy. the cycle to me is the hardest part, after that the tanks kinda go on auto pilot. once a week do a 25% water change. don't turn the lights on for to long in a day, and don't over feed. you should have a pretty easy tank with those in mind.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
but it's not a good idea to replace filter media unless it has a hole in it or otherwise damaged to where it wont work.
I disagree to an extent. If you are using biowheels or a HOB filter that utilizes some sort of bio media apart from the mechanical filter then you can switch it out whenever you want with out any cycling issues. Carbon filters should be changed out regularly (to be effective) unless like exhumed said, you have plants. Also carbon will not remove water detox chemicals such as prime or similar products, so you can leave the carbon in while using those to help with the cycle.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
@E7 Thanks for the tips and refreshing to know not all that come into this hobby are experts. Usually I do my research but I said to myself. Ehh, they're just fishes how hard can it be. Baahhaaha! boy was i wrong, there is so much that needs to be known to have happy, healthy fish and a great looking tank. And why take interest in the hobby if your not proud of your work, am I right?> Yyyep, well at least that's how I feel. That being said, I have been reading and reading more about care, feeding, lighting etc.. owever the more I read kinda' makes me a bit paranoid, as i see all these different issues, diseases, parasite, etc.. that can arise. I am hoping ("crossing fingers, lol) though if i keep the parameters where they need to be and watch my tank as I should then I shouldn't have to worry too much. I do appreciate all the knowledge and help..
Thanks again.