White foamy Bubbles at the top of my tank

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
MC, you've got WAAAY too many goldfish in there!! On top of that, they're cold water fish and should be kept w/out a heater. The rest of your fish are not cold water. Fancy goldfish need a 20-30g minimum for ONE, then an additional 10g for each additional fancy. If you've got comet goldfish in there, minimum for one would be about 100g tank. They are a pond fish that can grow absolutely HUGE.

You did the right thing by joining up here and asking questions. I'd rehome the goldfish and continue with large water changes. You can make it work w/ keeping fish in an uncycled tank, but it's going to take lots of big water changes and daily water parameter measurements with an API master test kit.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
NOOOOOOOOOOO! @FreshyFresh, please say it ain't so.... When I inherited the tank with the original three, not knowingly I assumed there was room for more, only because I have never had a tank this size and seemed that the three were lonely. So I took my children and had each one of them pick out a goldfish, so that's a total of five. Now I need to see how the heck I am going to break the news to them being they are in love with their fishes. Darn, so what your saying is that in order for me to keep my kids goldfish with us, we need a separate tank? If so are we taking about another 55g or 30g? What will do? Or can I leave maybe two and transfer three? Thought I was in the clear but being they are going to grow I don't want to run into issue in the future if I can prepare things right now. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks for all your comments and help..

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Are they fancy goldfish (fantail, bulgy eyes, etc) or are they comet goldfish, AKA "feeders goldfish" or I've heard them referred to as common goldfish too. Comets are typically ~$0.20/ea, but I've seen pet stores put them in a small tank and ask a cpl bucks for them. Fancy goldfish are usually a few dollars each.

You could keep 5 fancys in a 55g. Keep in mind you can get a 55 for $1/gal quite often at petco (I think the sale is still on) and Pet Supplies Plus is currently running a $1/gal sale.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i think 5 fancy goldfish is too much for a 55gal. they may be ok when they are small but as they grow they will want more room. 3 goldfish is better for that size tank.
that's just my opinion.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
@F.F they are the feeder fishes, we decided to get these type only because I am inexperienced as you can tell, lol. And wouldn't hit the pocket book too much, being there are five of them (Not including the decors that they also had to purchase :rolleyes:).. I will check both stores and see where i can get a better deal and with tanks. Thanks for the info F.F much appreciated.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
From personal experience goldfish are a mess in a fish tank. Big water changes are constantly need to keep your trates at a decent level. I got a lot of algae when I kept them. Like FF said, they're pond fish.

My kids forgot all about their goldfish once I got them new fish. Especially the electric blue crayfish - I really recommend these things for kids, it will be their favorite part of the aquarium.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Sorry MC. I know you can make a comet last for years in a fish bowl, but they don't live well at all. Pretty much everyone in the hobby will suggest you don't keep comets in a household tank unless it's the size of a swimming pool. A pair in a 55g? Ugh... Maybe, but it's going to take massive weekly water changes at a minimum once they get bigger. I'm talking changing out the water right down to where they can barely swim.

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
@Newman_ Being a newbie I don't know what comets are? Maybe you can clarify?
@F.F._ Well i guess what I will do is see if the LFS will take them back if not, would it be a bad idea to maybe offer a fish to someone like a lil present being they can take care of one? Or? Ugh, here we go with the nightmare again, lol glad i can laugh about my mistakes...

mcontra25

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
@Newman_ Good info to know but at the same time, I feel like such an a#*hole now, lol. I will make it my mission to get these guys either working with me in a new tank or find anew home for them.Thanks for the link..

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Agreed, and growing out the comets for a year or three and donating them to someone with a pond, etc. would be a great thing.

You could do two 55's on a Titan Eze stand somewhat reasonably. Like we say though, quite a bit of work if your not into it that much. You'd need twin Aqua clear 70's or single 110's on each tank at a minimum for filtration.