Aquakingdom ft30r

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
Hi I just picked up this tank from ebat for the princely sum of 30.00.

the filter is a internal filter built into the hood. the thing is I have never come across this type of filter before. is sucks the water up from the tank into the hood and sprays it onto some activater charcoal cartridges. now the cartridged that are in it look old. the question is do I just wash them and stick them back in or do I need to buy some new ones, also there is nothing else in the filter other than these cartridges, can I just use these cartridges or should there be some sort of vialogiocal filtration as well if so what and wherer do I get them,, see photos below.

WIN_20140329_201555.jpg

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you can keep using them until they start falling apart. if they do then just buy replacement filter cartridges (if you can't find any, but a cartridge from any brand that has the same dimensions as these. thickness doesn't matter, thin is ok). maintain these cartridges by removing them with each water change and rinsing with old tank water (never with tap water), then put them back and re-use. you do not have to clean them out and throw them away each time. the point is to preserve the biological filter- the bacteria that grow in the meshwork. the bacteria grows on any surface.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
you can keep using them until they start falling apart. if they do then just buy replacement filter cartridges (if you can't find any, but a cartridge from any brand that has the same dimensions as these. thickness doesn't matter, thin is ok). maintain these cartridges by removing them with each water change and rinsing with old tank water (never with tap water), then put them back and re-use. you do not have to clean them out and throw them away each time. the point is to preserve the biological filter- the bacteria that grow in the meshwork. the bacteria grows on any surface.
so have looked for these cartridges and i cannot find them anyware. i have also orderd som of those ceramic filter beads thing. now do they go above the activated charcole or below it.. also do i need to seperate the two with a filter sponge or can the beads sit on the cartrigges. or does it even matter. alsao how do i know when the charchole has ran out

Feb 27, 2009
Activated carbon only lasts a few days before it will become clogged with what it adsorbs (not absorbs). Unless you are wanting to remove medications or tannins, there is no need to use it.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
what does the tank's filtration chamber look like? (where the cartridges go). if there is space you can fit in those ceramic filter things (placement doesn't matter as long as water runs through them). don't forget to rinse them in tank water if they get dirty.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
QUOTE=Newman;630077]what does the tank's filtration chamber look like? (where the cartridges go). if there is space you can fit in those ceramic filter things (placement doesn't matter as long as water runs through them). don't forget to rinse them in tank water if they get dirty.[/QUOTE]

1396467409252.jpg 1396467409252.jpg

This is a picture of the filter built into the hood with 2 of the cartridges removed.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
w/e media you put in there (any type is good, ei. sponge, ceramic media, carbon. they all should fit) make sure the media is submerged and water is moving through it.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
w/e media you put in there (any type is good, ei. sponge, ceramic media, carbon. they all should fit) make sure the media is submerged and water is moving through it.
ok so will be setting up the tank today and starting the cycle. my question no wi what fish can I put I it. I have seen endlers at my local pets at home so was thinking about getting abt 7 of them, but the girl said my tank was too small for them????? also thinking of getting some shrimp. any ideas?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
how many gallons is it?
start with the endlers and make sure it's cycled before adding shrimp. cherry shrimp are best imo.

one way to speed up the cycle is to get filter media from an established tank (local fish store maybe?).
you can also use pure ammonia to cycle your tank before putting in any fish. read up on fishless and fish-in cycling.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
how many gallons is it?
start with the endlers and make sure it's cycled before adding shrimp. cherry shrimp are best imo.

one way to speed up the cycle is to get filter media from an established tank (local fish store maybe?).
you can also use pure ammonia to cycle your tank before putting in any fish. read up on fishless and fish-in cycling.
its is a 7 gallon. 33 ltrs and im currently cycling

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
7 gallon can take a group of maybe 5 endlers, males and females and leaves room for them to breed. also then 5 shrimp will be good. as both populations grow you will need to thin them down to avoid overstocking and crashing the tank. as long as you're doing your regular maintenance though, you shouldn't have too many problems.