!0 gal tank, how many more fish should i add?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Please don't take it the wrong way. We are all here to help. I really enjoy helping people getting started in this hobby. Doing it right and having it succeed only helps to increase the hobby.

10 gallons are tough REALLY tough, harder than most tanks in fact. They are just really small and limit what you can do with them. However, knowledge is the key with small tanks. With the right choices I am a firm believer that you can do something with it to make the most seasoned hobbyist drool. It's just a matter of knowing what species to work with in such a tank, and getting over the need to add more and more fish in it. Believe me the rewards of having a single species spawning it's butt off in your tank far outweighs cramming as many fish as you can in there.

I mean heck if you wanted to you could shove a baby one of these in there. http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050629/050629_catfish_hmed_9a.hmedium.jpg I can even show you where to get one http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfish&1132972796 Now ask yourself would that be right?

Not so much the same scale but the pictus is along the same point I am trying to make.

If you want some help please feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to give you a hand.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
See that is where you are mistaking. We can do a lot with your tank. Like I said PM me and I can help you. It is really a matter of knowing what species doesn't get really big and would be more than happy living in a 10 gal. Not to mention the plants we can add WITH the lighting that came with the tank.;)

Have a look at my photo bucket. All of the fish in the gudgeon/goby section will do just fine in a 10. http://photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
MOsborne05 said:
That's a much better idea, the catfish would be a lot happier in a tank that size. Just for future reference, do as much research as you can before you buy, that way you don't have to make those decisions. A lot of times you will get conflicting opinions on different fish, but do more research and trust the experts. There are people on this forum who have been keeping fish for decades, most people in the pet stores will, unfortunately, tell you what you want to hear so you buy their fish. Just remember, you can never do too much research ;) Good luck with your tank.
wild thread altogether...i endorse the above quote 100%...

i have been getting ready for my impending fish adventure now for three weeks...
i haven't bought a fish yet...
it's all been research...research...research...[mostly on the 'net]
i want the best fish i can get...
and i want them to be the happiest they can be...

and want them to thrive...not just survive...

all the work will be worth it...
both for me and the fish... :):):)

Apr 29, 2012
Stanwood, WA
i agree with froggyfox. your danios will need a bigger space than a10gal. think of it this way, every ”small” fish will need one gallon of water to one inch of fish. make sure of that. the only way you could possibly get around that would be to have a very powerful filter preferably thats recomended for a 20gal on your ten and get two or three more danios they thrive in scools of 6. i would think about upgrading to a 20gal in the near future:)