20 Gallon Reef Tank

Perfectblue

Medium Fish
Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Update: Well I have not posted an update of my tank for quite a while now mainly because not much as happened. The tank is still doing really well and many different critters have started appearing including Brittle Stars, Amphipods, Feather Dusters, and various worms.

Adding coral to my tank has been rather slow and infact the only coral the I added since the last update is a Kenya Tree. I have plans to add more coral to my tank but it will not be for 2-3 weeks. This tank will house Softies, LPS, and maybe a Montipora Digitata frag.

The coral that I just recently purchased is a Kenya Tree that is very healthy, and is about 4-5" high. It adjusted to my tank very well with full polyp extension and has a faint green color to it. When I was observing the coral in the fish store I noticed a small encrusting coral attached to the piece of rock where the Kenya Tree was on. I had a hunch that it might be an SPS coral but I wasn’t sure of the exact species. After posting an ID thread on a couple forums I came to the conclusion that it is probably a Porites. It should do well in my tank as the local fish store had the coral under the same amount of light.

I have been using two Maxijet 1200's in my tank but with both running the flow seems a bit much for what I'm keeping. To solve my problem I shaved down the impellers on both powerheads and it work great. Now I can have them running at the same time and the flow is perfect. I'm still using 2x65watt PC's as my lighting but I may upgrade to a 150watt metal halide system sometime in the near future. I do need to replace my PC bulbs soon since I have been using them for quite awhile.

Here are the pictures I took of the Kenya Tree as well as a couple full tank shots.

Here are a couple recent full tanks shots

Kenya Tree

Second Coral That Was Attached To Rock