20 tall stocking Qs

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
That is a common myth that the fish will only grow to the size of the tank...one that you REALLY need to rethink and do some research on if you truly believe it. You need to put fish in a tank that they will be happy in at their adult size...and you HAVE to include finnage in any calculating you do. A full grown angel can have over 8 inches of vertical height in the tank...and being territorial...the suggestion for 10g per angel (as long as the tank is 20G+) is very reasonable.

If the bottom of the tank seems empty maybe you could look for some pygmy cories? I'd disagree that all of the cories are the same...some get to be 3 inches...some 2 inches...and pygmys only like an inch! The smaller they are the more they like to have. Personally mine are spotted ones...um I think thats what the store called them but they're probably julii. They are full grown at just under two inches and very cute. I'd get three...because they do love to be in groups, but I'd be hesitant to add too many fish to your tank. It'll be ok as long as you're diligent with your water changes :) I've never heard of angels having problems with cories.

OH and btw...apple snails are awesome. They are not asexual like other snails, you have to have a male and a female for them to lay eggs and have babies...so if you only get one you're good to go. They're pretty and I know I didn't think they were that great before I got one...but now I have at least one in every tank. They're great at keeping the bottom clean and actually have something resembling a personality! I'm very happy that I got one :)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I saw an angel fish at my local store-fish safari that was absolutely huge! I didn't even know they grew that big. It's body alone was the size of a full grown discus. I think most books say excluding the caudal fin because the size of the fins don't predict waste output, but yes they need room. But with that said most "calculations" for stocking level afford more room than the average aquarist allows anyways so....

ya we can kinda tell you have a lot of books :) i wish i could get some books, just never had time to go to barnes and nobles to buy any but i did look at some last time i went and most of them didn't really help, they were all mainly fish data books and some of them had biotopes but none i really wanted. I might look again though cause last time i went we didnt have much time to spend there :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Some books are wonderful...but nothing can replace actual experience and common sense. Some books are not so wonderful...and just like everything you read on MFT and online you need to take the statements in books with a grain of salt.