20L SPS Reef Thread

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
The time has finally come, I am now ready to begin my own new tank. I found a perfect spot in my room, and after some long decisions, went with a All-Glass 20L on a Marineland Sedona Series (Natural) stand. The great thing is the stand looks like it might have come with my furniture, it matches that well. Today was great, as I just picked up the tank on my way out of work (yay! first day!), and painted it when I got home, and cut some eggcrate. The viewing height couldn't have been more perfect. The stand height sits flush with my desk, but its just short enough where I won't see the lights.

Future plans:

I am going to set this tank up as strictly SPS. Possibly add a crocea clam if I find one I really like, but I am in no rush on that idea. Stocking will be a single male resplendent anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus), notice the feeder, and some nassarius snails. I'm going to try running barebottom on just 10% waterchanges a week, no sump, just a closed loop circulation pump. I'm sure I'll be able to learn a lot more as I go, and this project seems like it is in the right direction.

Equipment:

This is the only part that is holding me up right now. I just need a few weird adapters, but they'll be here soon.

-MagDrive 950, 800gph after headloss, 40x turnover
-SCWD, wavemaker
-Current USA AquaChef automatic feeder, I hope this works out...
-Custom 2x70w HQI retros, 13000K bulbs

Yes ladies, I like fine art. ;)

What I have so far..

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Leave the anthia out. It's going to need multiple feedings a day, and in an unkimmed bare bottom tank that is going to cause you problems down the road with rising organics and especially rising phosphate (which will simply stop calcification) from the dried food in the autofeeder. Get something like a plectranthia instead.
20 SPS is going to be tough enough anyway without making extra headaches for yourself. They're real pretty , but practically there are better fish choices. It would be cramped anyway.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
CRT is actually on its way out, LCD should be here within the next few months. :D

wayne said:
Get something like a plectranthia instead.
That was actually my second choice. I wasn't sure on their behavior though. Do they carry the same traits as anthias, or do they perch like hawks? Would it be fine on one feeding a day?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well they're commonly sold as geometric hawks, so yes, that's what they're like. Check out the Cirrhilabrid too. Both much better on limited feeds

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, I think I might just go with the resplendent then. If he starts to thin out on my small feedings, and isn't looking too great, I'll be sure to bail him out. It will be a little risky, but I think it could work. Wish me luck!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
He will thin out. Pull him out good and early as these guys tend to starve to death very, very quickly, and once they're going they're gone. Regular feeding is apparently one of the keys to success with anthias, though frankly my success with anthias is very limited.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I finally got the plumbing done (last parts came Thursday). Everything went together nicely. My hands hurt really bad from twisting the vinyl tubing so much, but no leaks on the first try! :D Now I just need to make some RO+salt. SCWD works really great, really smooth transitions.

Well, I think I'll post some pictures in when I get my rock in the tank. That has to wait until my bulbs+uv shields come for the lights..

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Halides haven't even been mounted, and the tank sits at 92 with my 96w PC. This is a big hold-up, as now I need to raise some funds for a chiller. Should have some pictures once I get the halides on. :(