3 foot tank for interesting fish?

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey,
i'm in the process of setting up a 3 foot tank.
36 x 18 x 14
Just curious as to what kinda fish i should put in there.
I've keept most of the "basic,hardly" fish and want somethign exciting but at teh same time not super busy becuase i'm currently doing year 12.
i was thikning
1 pair of blue rams or 1 pair of discus
with
1 pair of angels.
any suggestions as to what else i can put in with them or recommendations?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
What is that in Gallons?  That'll decide how many fish will logically fit.
As always, Rainbowfish.  Take your pick, there's plenty of types.
Corys are always good. Again, take your pick.
You going to put live plants in there too?  Well?  Well?  ;)
Ottos for anti-algae, of course.  And a Bushy-nose Pleco.

D

discusaquarium

if you choose to do discus, be sure and READ UP ON THEM before you take any actions. that is half of the people's mistakes. it would be a great tank if you did get a couple of discus, and maybe add in a few cardinals or cories.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
That's a 40 gallon tank. ;D

I would suggest some discus and angels. Maybe a pair of each and some small tetras. That would be a great tank. And maybe some live plants. Also some corys as bottom feeders as they are the greatest fish alive. ;D

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
decided not to put discus....since they are not cheap fish and they will require a larger tank... i'm leaning towards rams and angels

D

discusaquarium

good choice, rams and angels are both really neat fish. what kinds of each are you planning to buy?

fishboy,
some say that angels and discus cannot be kept together because the angelfish can carry a certain virus that doesnt harm them but is fatal to the discus. personally, i beg to differ. if you have a clean tank then there shouldnt be any diseases what so ever. another rumor i suppose by the people who had NO success with discus whatsoever and blamed it on them. angels and discus are found schooling in the wild together. --hmm hmm-- people. enough said.
the ONLY problem that MAY arise is if the angelfish were bigger than the discus. then it might start being mean, but if you plan things right and establish your discus at the right time then there should be no worries.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
yes I also beg to differ here. At my lfs they have a large tank (200 gallons) with angles and discus in it! They have it fully planted and they have 8 discus and 3 angles and they are all full grown. If you just plant it right and keep it really clean then it will be fine. Like discus said they swim together in the wild. I have also heard people say that angels can't survive in the same temperature as discus. I know this isn't true myself. They seem to be a perfect match as tank mates in the tank at the lfs and I have never heard her complain about they're aggression before so I would say they're fine together. ;D

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
TaybelZ,  A good starting point is to find fish that match your water conditions.  Hard, high PH or soft, neutral PH.  Have you ever considered African Cichlids? they are hearty, easy to take care of and incredible to watch.  You can put a nice selection of Mbunas (lake malawi cichlids) in a 40 gallon tank.

I got into Africans 3 months ago and I haven't turned back. I have an 80 stocked with mbunas and haps, some of my fish are mouthbrooding, which in an incredible sight in itself.  I also have a 15 gallon in which I raise fry.

If you are interested in Africans, let me know and I will try to help as best as I can.

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
THe reason why i didn't want an afrain setup is due to the fact that i can't keep many plants in the tank.... i love my plants they add an extra dimension
so thats why i'm thinking rams-blue

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I dont want to plant my tank either. The guy at my fish store told me with africans you just need a lot of ornaments or fake plants are fine. He had a lot of tanks set up there and he is the only one that deals with the chiclids. He actually had just breed some and were waiting for the babies to get large enough to sell. None of his tanks for the africans were planted because he said the fish will just uproot them and destroy them anyway. He suggested fake plants with heavy bases.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Oh Ryan in post 9 since i don't feel like writing it out the discus and angels can live in the same temp i have my angel in 84 F water and is fine. ;D Sorry to go off the subject but i had to tell you that :D ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Personally I would suggset rocks for an african tank myself. That is what their natural habitat is and that's what I think looks better. But plastic plants would be okay. I just think the rocks look better than the others. Do what you like but I thought i would add that.

Tabelz I think blue rams would look nice in there with some real plants! That would look beautiful. Your an austrailian too? Well I'm not but kitten is. And if I'm not mistaken she's from Melbourne too! Cool. Well good luck with your new tank. ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[quote author=fishboy link=board=cichlid&num=994314438&start=15#15 date=07/08/01 at 16:57:53]
Oh Ryan in post 9 since i don't feel like writing it out the discus and angels can live in the same temp i have my angel in 84 F water and is fine. ;D Sorry to go off the subject but i had to tell you that :D ;D
[/quote]Lazy boy! You don't have to write it out fishboy all you have to do is click quote and type after it! Yes I know angels can live in with discus temp I was saying that some people say they can't but I know they can. ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=taybelZ link=board=cichlid&num=994314438&start=0#13 date=07/08/01 at 07:49:49]
i'm australia dude
melbourne 2 be presise
[/quote]

YAY!!! Me too :) (knox)

So now someone will know what i'm on about when i'm whinging about the price of fish ;)

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
kewl.
well i'm not sure about fish prices since i've never bought cichlids b4, or checking the prices on them.
Anyhow feel free to talk 2 me on icq or msn.