3 Very Urgent Questions To Ask About MARINE FISHES

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it is most likely going take several weeks for the levels to drop. I would reccomend not adding any more fish or corals until the levels have dropped. At that point I would not add more than one fish a month and no more than one coral a week. more live rock will help you in the long run. usuall people try to use one pound of rock for every gallon of water. for now i would try to add the rest of the rock you plan to have and research the lighting requirements for your tank. buying lights without figuring out what you will need based on what you plan to keep will just be a waste of money

kevin

druxcyck

Small Fish
Jul 13, 2003
Daytona Beach
Visit site
Giritharan,
you keep saying a 2 ft tank how many gallons / liters is it?

The fish you have bought will likely die... if you are lucky the Clown fish will survive, they are pretty hardy.

The Ammonia is rising because fish urine is basically Ammonia, you need bacteria, which you have in the live rock to break it down into Nitrite, that is one process Nitrite is still VERY toxic to fish. You should wait until another set of bacteria develops to turn your Nitrite into Nitrate, whichi is still toxic but not as toxic as Ammonia or Nitrite

how much Sand in inches/cm? you should have 2 inches which is equivlent to 4.4 cm I think. This way you will get the last stage of bacteria that turns the Nitrate into CO2.

How many Watts are your lamps? you really need 4-5 watts per gallon before you can add Corals. ALso are you adding any calcium? I use Kalkwasser it should help buffer the PH and Alkilinity, plus it helps with any invertibreas that you have.

One thing you may want to invest in is a Cleaner Shrimp, I'm betting that if your fish manage to survive, they will most likely develop ICK, he will clean the fish of the ICK

Aug 28, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
hi,

K my 2ft tank have a total of 80 litres of water, My ammonia, nitrate and nitrite have been stable till today , about 1 n half month already,

I have 10 fishes( i know alot but i am putting constand bacteria:) ), the names are:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish,

1 Rare Maroon Clownfish,( instead of white on the strap, its yellow)

1 Red Cinnamon Clownfish(most aggressive),

1 blue tang(very crazy molesting all the other teammates by touch on their tails),

2 Firefish Purple(dam shy),

2 Firefish Helfrichi(dam shy, but not towards me),

I have like more then 6-8 kg of live rocks, those pictures i attach are the old one, i will send you guyz the new one in the evening of my current time.

I am using about 30 watts coral life light, Antinic and Daylight. Just nice for 2ft tank:)

For my reef supplement,

Seachem Reef Calcium,
Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium,
CombiSan(food disolve in water for Bacterias, corals, brittle worms to eat)

My Corals:

2 Biggest Sea Anemone coral,

1 smal Sea Anemone coral,

1 leather coral,

1 sea fang tree,

1 tube anemone,(I put it in the corner so that my tank mates will not get sting)

Currently my supplemets are making mushrooms growing on the live rocks:)

My Invertibles Are:

3 tube dust feather worms,

2 Scralet Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,

1 White Spot anemone shrimp,

i have change my top filter into a canister, i wil attach a picture now since i got it for the canister:) Brand name is EHEIM CLASSIC,,,

Best Regards,
Giritharan

Attachments

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You are quite insane if you think 10 fish can survive in 80 litres or 2 foot tank. I don't care how many bacteria you're putting in, or if you have an eheim filter or what there simply isn't enough dissolved oxygen, or water to absorb waste, let alone swimming space. If you haven't lost any yet, I would return them except the two ocellaris clowns and see if you can get some money back. Also, with all those fish in there creating waste you have a near zero chance of keeping those anemonae or corals alive for more than a matter of weeks as they fall too pieces.
If you keep the clowns, shrimps, duster worms and have patience you can have a nice, sustainable tank, but stick with this lot and it's expensive fish soup, and it will be a shame on you.

Aug 28, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi wayne,

Yea i noe that there is alot of fishes, but my cousin gave me to hang on 3 fishes, while wating for him to get his tank cycled, he got 4 more days to get his cycled complete within 1 month,,, so lets wait and see,

Best Regards,
Giritharan:)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes well 10 -3 equals seven which is still too many, plus his tank may not be cycled, plus they need to survive those days which may not be 100% certain. Not impressed.

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
U CANT PUT SEAHORSES IN A COMMUNITY TANK THEY WILL DIE, THE OTHER FISH WILL BOTHER THEM AND EAT ALL THE FOOD BEFORE THE SEAHORSE CAN GET ANY FOOD, AND IT WAS NOT SMART TO GET FISH IF YOU DONT HAVE ALL THE TEST KITS. STOP RUSHING GO SLOW, THE RESULTS WILL BE GREATER IN THE END (AND CHEAPER).JUST BECAUSE UR AMMOINA IS DOWN THE NITRITE AND/OR NITRATE CAN BE UP. IM GLAD U LEARNED HOW TO USE A HYDROMETER. I THINK ITS OBVIOUS U NEED TO LEARN A LOT. PLEASE READ,READ,READ. AND STOP BUYING FISH, TILL UR READY.