55 Gallon FOWLR Tank-Journal

Perfectblue

Medium Fish
Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Well I started my 55g FOWLR marine tank about 2 months ago, and I would like to start the journal from now on. The only livestock that I added were a few snails, but I have not added any fish yet. I am using a 18w PC fixture and a 18" No fluorescent fixture for temperary lighting until I order two more 65w PC bulbs for my fixture. Here are the specs and a couple recent pictures.

55 gallon AGA tank (48"Lx13"Wx20"H)
Stand
AquaC Remora protein skimmer
two Maxi-jet 1200's
100w heater
Around 40lbs of fine white sand
30lbs of base rock
10lbs of Fiji live rock

Here are the pictures.

Comments are always welcome.:)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Its nice to see that you are taking your time and doing things right. *thumbsups I am not sure if its needed for a FOWLR tanks but the only thing that I see is you dont have a skimmer. Again I am not 100% that you need one for a FOWLR; hopefully someone can verify this. :D Other than that I think that is is a VERY NICE start. I do have one question for ya though.....What is going in it??!!?? *twirlysmi

Perfectblue

Medium Fish
Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
S.Reef said:
Yeah, whats goin in it?
Well I have been going over what fish I would like to house in this tank and this what I've come up with so far.

1-2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Firefish
1 Goby or Wrasse

1 Tomato Clownfish
1 Hawkfish- Either Falco, Flame, or Longnose
Maybe a small Toby or Angelfish

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I like option 2 much more. Everything in list 1 is frankly pretty boring. I woud likely go for a dwarf angel AND a toby, and the tomato clown or a clarkii is a super fish. I might sub the hawk for something else just for the heck of it, and as you're going to have some algae issues eventually I might ,keep it quiet, consider a small kole tang. I'd try to stick to 4 of those fish. The only exception is you might try to get a pair of dwarf angels by getting two that are VERY (1 inch) small at the same time.

Yes the skimmer is necessary for a FOWLR - why not. There is , if anything, going to be more waste in a well fed FOWLR.

Perfectblue

Medium Fish
Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
wayne said:
I like option 2 much more. Everything in list 1 is frankly pretty boring.
Yeah I was thinking that too. My first list seems rather boring with ordinary fish, so I'm probably going with my second stocking plan. The reason why I want a Hawkfish is because awhile back I kept a Falco Hawkfish and it was very beautiful, interesting, and one of my favorite fish that I've kept.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I had a "Flame Hawk Fish" before...(R.I.P. until he jumped ship one day), he had so much personality and was/is one of my favorite fish, and if I ever get a bigger tank again he will definitly be on my list. They are so much fun to watch.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Well I decided against my #2 stocking plan and with #1. Over the last week I have added a couple fish to my tank including a tiny Ocellaris Clownfish and a Firefish which have settled in quite well and are eating like little pigs. :lol2: I plan on adding another Ocellaris Clownfish and a Sixline Wrasse but that wont be for awhile. I'll try and take a few pics of the fish and then I will post them. :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can get a dwarf angel to go with those... angels are so awesome. You'd just want to add it last if you've got more passive fish (like the firefish and clown). I also root for fairy wrasses over sixlines, since I've heard a lot that the sixlines are aggressive towards either fish or snails/crabs. Fairy wrasses are really peaceful, active, and colorful.

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Here are a few pictures I took of my new Ocellaris Clownfish and Firefish. They aren't very good pics because these fish are fast and hard to take good pics of.

I will post more once I take better quality pics. 8)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Those are pretty good considering the subjects... clowns are never still, and firefish are darty little suckers. They really stand out against the rocks and black background.

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Update: Well I finally received my two 65w PC bulbs, which arrived today. I'm so glad to finally have my Current USA fixture up and running again. I also added a small Sandsifting Goby a few days ago, and he settled in quite nicely. I have taken many pictures of my tank and of the new Goby.

Full Tank Shots

Pic Of Tank At Night With Moonlights On

New Sandsifting Goby