55G Amazon biotope work log

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Here you go :)

I took these the day after I got them, they are about twice the size as they are there now.

Blue Striated

and

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
They are supposed to get bluer (is that a word? ;) )

Here is a pic of one of the parents.

The bigger one has way more color since that pic up top, Ill try to get them to sit still so I can take a good pic tonight. I put them on a beef heart diet and there color has just exploded. I have even seen them nipping that the celery that I put in for the clown loaches. I do a bloodworm / beef heart/ veggie diet that I mix up thru the week.

Last edited:

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
wow, beautiful. Personally, I'd like fish updates as they get older and more colorful, along with your tank updates. It'd be nice to see the colors changing (I'm thinking of starting a discus tank as well).

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I'll post some pic’s tonight. :)

I picked a discus tank because I actually wanted a hobby where I am more involved. With my other tanks, I find myself screwing around with them more than I have to. Since I got this new tank it’s all about how I can set it up with the best filtration, and the easiest way to do a WC. I like a hobby where there is something you can do to modify it or change it to get a better outcome rather than just sitting there waiting to do something.

By the time I'm done with this tank I will have an auto WC method and the best filtration method I can stick in that tank. (that my budget will allow) I’m really excited to see this overflow is going to turn out, I haven't seen anything exactly like it on the net yet, so hopefully it’s a first. Now I have to get the balls to drill three (maybe five) holes in the back of my tank. :eek:

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
nealio said:
I'll post some pic’s tonight. :)

I picked a discus tank because I actually wanted a hobby where I am more involved. With my other tanks, I find myself screwing around with them more than I have to. Since I got this new tank it’s all about how I can set it up with the best filtration, and the easiest way to do a WC. I like a hobby where there is something you can do to modify it or change it to get a better outcome rather than just sitting there waiting to do something.
I'm the same way. One of the reasons I keep wanting more tanks is cuz there's only so much you can do with a basic FW once it's set up. So I think the main reason I really wanna try discus is cuz it would actually be a challenge, keeping them healthy and happy, doing the water changes without letting it take over my life. I am right there with you Nealio, I totally get it.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
and a challenge is what you get

i spend like 2 hours a week changing water for them. but i also use buckets...and theres two other smaller tanks included in that two hours but meh.
the challenge is what i enjoy about them. the research, talking to people with them. learning strain types and hoping one day mine might breed.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
OK so interesting fact I learned tonight. My discus are stunted, you can tell by their eyes. You want five eyes to fit down their face, maaaayybee three eyes can fit down mine. Hopefully a new home and plenty of food will help them. :(

One with reg lighting

One with the antic light on

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
What's a biotope without plants..... a true biotope. Plants are not correct, or necessary for these fish, but that is a little pedantic. Good call with the big water changes, it allows you to jam juvies with food without trashing the water quality, something you cannot do even with the most awesome filtration ( as growth limiting hormones do not enter the nitrogen cycle esily, quickly). Apart from tetras and pencilfish I found fancy plecs and dwarf cichlids liek apistos or dicrossus to work very, very with discus, and to add 'corrctness'.
I thnk there's a good new book on discus with mucho biotope info from Heiko Bleher, but I haven\t seen an english translation from german.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I put the plants in to help the tank cycle :D worked wonders!

update:
My company moved me BACK up to the greater Sacramento Area and I purchased my first house. Brand new to boot!! San Francisco can kiss my bottom I would of never been able to afford a home out there!

I'm in the process of re-setting up right now. The purchase of our two new kittens is making the set up process a little harder than usual. :p

Once I get a chance to get my tank cycled again, Ill plop em back in and take some more pics. I traded in my discus before I moved because I didn't think they would take the move too well since they were so sensitive to begin with. I'm trying to talk my wife into SW since I just set up a new sump and cut two new brand new holes to run it :D

Wish me luck!

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
crazy how much of a difference that polish made! where did you pick that polish up from? is it specialized for aquariums, or can you pick it up at like a hardware store? also, is it very expensive?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
No its really cheap, Tap plastics sells it. I think you can buy it online if there isn't a retail store close.

I got the tank for such a good deal, I thought a little elbow grease was worth it. The drill made the big difference.

There are three stages:

One is just a cleaner, and gets the gunk off of the acrylic.

Two is a scratch remover. This is the one I used the most with the drill, If you can see scratches or discoloration, use this. Commonly caused by cleaning the tank and having some sand on your scraper.

Three: a little more hard core, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, then you use this bad boy. I didn't use this inside the tank, but I did on the finish of the outside. I only got good results when I used it with the drill and the buffing pad. Also the 5000 grit wet sandpaper helped a lot on the scratches on the outside.

It looks brand new after all the buffing. It took about three days in about 4 hour increments to finish the whole thing but it was worth it.

THEN I added a 180w light to the tank and algae attacked my beautiful clean acrylic!!

Here is the LINK

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Oh I forgot to mention that I called up Tap plastics and asked them about how safe it was to use in a fish tank. The sales rep said he gets that phone call a lot, and stated that it was made to be used in all types of applications and it is a silicone based product to clean your acrylic with leaving no residue left on the acrylic like a windex or other type of cleaning product would. Worked great for me, my fish never had a problem what so ever except one jumper :( I have no idea how he found his way out of hood!!

May 8, 2007
Melrose Park,IL
I insist the stand is still good.Ever tried Old English scratch remover and polish? It comes for dark woods and light woods. It has done wonders for old dried wood, much like the acrylic scratch remover has done on your tank.