55g coming soon, what to get?

Jul 5, 2006
I got a 55g from a friend and i am wodering what will look good? Here is an idea of mine.
6 tiger barbs
4 dwarf gouramis
2 GBR
3 red-tailed sharks
4 mollies
5 assorted corys

Would this work or is it over stockted??? Thanks in advance!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Welcome to MFT, Cichlid-Lover...where you been since July? lol

Hmm...I'd do more of a cichlid 'community' if I were you.
Have you ever kept mbuna? That'd be cool in a tank like that.
Or you could opt for CA/SA cichlids...

Either way, I'm sure someone will chime in soon and let you know about your proposed stocking plan. ;)

BV :)

Jul 5, 2006
Haha i know its been a while since i was on! There were alot of family problems and moving and stuff like that. I have always wanted to get the T-bar cichlid(Cryptoheros Sajica?). Will they do good in a community with tiger barbs??? I really like those!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Glad you're back on track and into the hobby. ;)

It's best if you direct cichlid-related questions to the folks in the 'Cichlid' section of the forum. I'm really still a beginner when it comes to cichlids (although I have done plenty of research for my 'grand plans' for salvini), so it's best if you get some advice there. I also did much of my research over at cichlid-forum.com---tons of species profiles there!

See you in the cichlid section!

BV

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
Hey, the gouramis are good too! Don't let him sucker you into cichlids!! you could do giants if you wanted to, but then you'd have to cut back on a few of the others....

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
LOL! pass on the barbs, id say. im not a big fan of them...really nippy aggressive fish.
and i would get get either the red tailed sharks or corys, not both. too many bottom feeders and there might not be enough food for them all. :)

you need to get some tetras in there!
tetras, gouramis, red tailed sharks, couple mollies would be a nice lil' tank. and then add some plants, would be beautiful :)

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
After watching my brilliant rasbora's shoal around my new 55 I'd say if get some schooling fish. The tiger barbs kind of school around but they are hyper fish. They are a bit nippy but not bad if you 6 or more of them. They do not bother the platies or rasbora in my tank. I've had red tailed sharks that were a lot more aggressive then any tiger barb's I've kept.

I really like 55 gal size as a cichlid tank too since it's so long. You can set up a nice bunch of rock into caves and have plenty of room for each cichlid to have it's own space. They are fun to watch as they rearrange things to their liking.

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
hmmm... i dunno about the hatchet fish. and instead of dwarfs, why not a different breed? licorice gouramis would look nice in a little group with those fish :) mollies would be nice, i'd worry about nips from tetras, but all in all i think it'd look pretty!

(one male and a few females on gouramis will knock the 'agression' that develops down)

Jul 5, 2006
Ok. I made another list.

6 neon tetras
4 bleeding heart tetras
2 dwarf gouramis
4 mollies
5 assorted cories

And don't worry, if there is a list of mine that won't work, i always have a backup list, even for the backup! LOL!!!!

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
I would go with something other than neon tetra they are small fish for 55 gallonf JMO. The barbs i had were not nippy on other fish, they were the most active of my tank till i put soap in the tank by mistake. I only had one red tail and he left others alone, i also had albino rainbow shark with him. I like the red tail only because i had one as a kid, when i get my 55 gallon i might get another red tail to keep in my 29 gallon? I would really stay away from the neon tetras and go with the gourmai idea, they are beautiful species and would look nice in big tank i think.

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
You could do two types of gouramis....but you have to watch which ones you get and only have one male Imo. Other wise there's the whoel territory thing. Unless it's goign to be be well planted and decorated, then it might be ok.