6 Gallon Help

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
IDunnoWhy said:
Yea, they can be hard to come by sometimes. The LFS I frequent, has them in hoards, then nothing for a while.
Which Honey Gourami did you have, the gold or the red?

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Bryon said:
Which Honey Gourami did you have, the gold or the red?
I guess I'd describe them as "amber transitioning into red-ish near the tail" they also had some subtle reddish on the dorsal fins, still one of the prettiest fish I've had, I had them for maybe 2yrs. (During my college days) If memory serves me the grew to about 2". (I've got some old pics somewhere, I'll see if I can find em' and scam them for posting).

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
Stueyandspike said:
My flames are really beautiful and i think they are pretty hardy however i got them about a month after my tank was set up but they seem happy and ive never had problems with them.
How long have you had them if you don't mind me asking?

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
I know I already said what I was going to have in this tank but I've got a couple of other idea's that have came to me so I thought I'd share them here.

I was at petsmart today and noticed they have dwarf platys. These fish look great and stay smaller than normal platys. I was wondering if anybody had any info on these or had some? I was thinking rather than neons that I'd do this.

Honey gourami
3 Dwarf Platys
2 Male Guppies(I know what your thinking but I've never had them fight as long as there were no females, call me crazy)
Gold Mystery Snail

I figured this would give more of a variety as these are a bit hardier than neons from what I read.

Now I have a question, figure this tank isn't stocked yet and these fish will be fine could I add a few cherry barbs or white clouds? or even a pair of Otocinclus? Again providing the water test fine. Thanks for your help everybody. You've been great.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Bryon said:
Honey gourami
3 Dwarf Platys
2 Male Guppies(I know what your thinking but I've never had them fight as long as there were no females, call me crazy)
Gold Mystery Snail

I figured this would give more of a variety as these are a bit hardier than neons from what I read.

Now I have a question, figure this tank isn't stocked yet and these fish will be fine could I add a few cherry barbs or white clouds? or even a pair of Otocinclus? Again providing the water test fine. Thanks for your help everybody. You've been great.
So you want:

1 Honey Gourami
3 Dwarf Platies
2 Guppies
1 Mystery Snail
Cherry Barbs or White Clouds
2 Oto Cats

I would say thats WAY too much.

Don't do the barbs (not enough room)

The snail & Otos accomplish similar things I think (The snail does it better IMO, unless you've got a brown algae problem, then otos are great)

I doubt the White clouds would be happy in a 6 gallon (Not enough room)

I don't have any experience with the dwarf platies (yet)

Basically when your working with only 6 gallons, you sorta' rule out any schooling fish, as there is simply not enough room for them.

Last edited:

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
I have a 5 gallon and a 29 gallon. My 5 gallon had 4 white clouds and a mystery snail in it and they seemed fine. I eventually moved them into the 29 to cycle it and they stayed there. I have had neons and I say dont waste the money on them. I lost 10 before I said to hell with them. I also have a Dwarf Blue Gourami but it is in the 29 gallon. I have had it for a month now and its doing good it likes hiding places though so it should be good with your caves. If you get white clouds get a group of them. I started with 2 and they werent really active. When I bout the next set of two they were all over the place.

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
IDunnoWhy said:
So you want:

1 Honey Gourami
3 Dwarf Platies
2 Guppies
1 Mystery Snail
Cherry Barbs or White Clouds
2 Oto Cats

I would say thats WAY too much.

Don't do the barbs (not enough room)

The snail & Otos accomplish similar things I think (The snail does it better IMO, unless you've got a brown algae problem, then otos are great)

I doubt the White clouds would be happy in a 6 gallon (Not enough room)

I don't have any experience with the dwarf platies (yet)

Basically when your working with only 6 gallons, you sorta' rule out any schooling fish, as there is simply not enough room for them.
No, I was asking could I have Cherry Barbs OR White Clouds OR a couple of Oto's. Many sites and my personal experience tells me White Clouds do fine in smaller tank, in fact, they are one of the best fish for a small tank. It may be to much though when adding the Platys and Guppies.

NJmom2002 said:
I have a 5 gallon and a 29 gallon. My 5 gallon had 4 white clouds and a mystery snail in it and they seemed fine. I eventually moved them into the 29 to cycle it and they stayed there. I have had neons and I say dont waste the money on them. I lost 10 before I said to hell with them. I also have a Dwarf Blue Gourami but it is in the 29 gallon. I have had it for a month now and its doing good it likes hiding places though so it should be good with your caves. If you get white clouds get a group of them. I started with 2 and they werent really active. When I bout the next set of two they were all over the place.
Thanks for the info on the neons and the help

Last edited: