8 gallon options?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
I have an 8 gallon tank which hasnt been doing much in a while and with just 2 corydoras julii in it, i am losing interest. What can i do to this tank to bring it back to life? Any fish or decor suggestions?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
All bettas have different personalities, maybe you had a "boring" one? I have had really good luck with bettas, they have a great personality! *thumbsup2

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
There are some options but not a lot of them for such tiny space.
1. Add 5 danio zebras. There are crazy fish and make any tank look lively. They are always happy and do not require much upkeep: they pick food from everywhere - surface or bottom.
2. Plant the tank and let some tiny irridesent fishies (do not know their names). It will be decorative. Plants will require attention though.
3. Put 2 dwarf puffers and get some drama going and watch they smiley faces looking at you through the glass begging for worms.
4. FInal drastic measure: go bold and buy 2 tiny baby oscars (i saw them, they are adorable *thumbsups ). Soon they will grow up and you have to buy 30g for them, then 55g and then 125g. So, in about 3 years you'll have at least 3 tanks plus QT tank and hobby going full strength. :rolleyes:
:) .

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
1. I think i would like the activity that they would bring to the tank but i was looking for something a bit different to what you see all the time.
2. I always like planted tanks but am only ever good with the basics. I only have a 15w bulb, will this be enough?
3. I had a dwarf puffer before, it was a South American species and was quite cool. Is there any other species of dwarf puffer that would be suitable for such a small tank?
4. I dont think an 8 gallon would be a good idea for 2 oscars, even if it was only temporary. I could move them into my 16g when they get a bit bigger, then after that I wouldnt be able to house them so i think it would be a bad idea.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Generally speaking the "Dwarf Indian Puffer" is what people refer to. It remains under 1 inch its entire life, according to most resources they require about 3 gallons per fish. I have seen quite a few more crammed into a tank though. They are available from petsmart and are very reasonably priced. They are a 100% freshwater puffer, although people have acclimated them to brackish. They may not do to well with your cories though.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think if you were going to get a dwarf gourami, you should only get one.

How about some harlequin rasboras? They're fun little fish, would get along with your cories. You could probably get a group of about 7 in there...and some new plants to make the tank really green (whether its real plants or fake plants)