8 gallon options?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
I went back to the lfs to get the endlers but they didnt seem as healthy as before and showed signs of fin rot. I thought it would be best not to buy them so i just had a look at the plants.

The plants that they get on a regular basis are: Cabomba aquatica, Elodea densa, Green Myriophyllum, Red myriophyllum, Straight vallis, Twisted vallis, wheat plant and Palm trees. They also sell Dracaena, Red dracaena and fountain plant which i believe are all non-aquatic plants.

The plants i am most interested in are Green Myriophyllum, Red myriophyllum and Straight vallis. Will these be suitable for my lighting (15w)? I also like the Tiger lotus' which i see in books but will this grow too big. What other plants should i look for when im at my lfs?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I doubt the myriophyllums will do well in your tank, they need higher lighting. The vallis will probably do OK.

The palms, fountain plant and dracaenas are non-aquatic. I'm not sure what the wheat plant is, but it doesn't sound aquatic.

Some plants that would do OK include water wisteria and hygrophilia species. Java fern would do well, too.

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
Yeh i wasnt sure about the palms and the wheat plant didnt look very aquatic, but it seems strange for a lfs to sell so many non aquatic species. I have seen wisteria in my lfs so i will see if i can get my hands on some of that. I love the bright green colour of it which i have seen in some peoples tanks on here. I havent seen any hygrophilia species i dont think. I will research about them incase my lfs are using common names.

Can anyone help me with aquascaping my planted tank. because its quite small, i am having trouble and just seem to put plants in there in no particular place. All i do is put taller plants at the back and shorted ones at the front.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Not really

I'd get the endlers and work on getting them back to health. You'd likely be able to sell any fry too.

Killies? Apisto's? Both of those?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
I have always read not to buy unhealthy fish and i dont want to waste my money if they are going to die. Hopefully the retailer will bring them back to health. I am going to be going back this saturday to have another look. I like killies, but i hardly ever see them in my lfs as for Apisto's. I will be asking my lfs to order in some A.cacatuoides when i get room to set up my 16gal.

I saw some peacock gudgeon in this months pfk mag. Has anyone heard of these before? I will also see if my lfs will be able to stock these if i dont get the endlers.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
When I lived in London I never had to look to hard to find most any fish. Which shops do you go to? Have you tried any of the biggies in London?
Certainly killies and a few varieties of apistos should be easy as nip to find within travelzone 2 or 3. I would hesitate to order in apistos especially. It's far better to find somewhere with 2 or 3 different varieties (or 10+) and see what looks best.
Tried Wholesale tropicals in Bethnal Green.

You could always go salt. No protein skimmer, 3 kilos live rock, blood shrimp and a single fish

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
wayne said:
When I lived in London I never had to look to hard to find most any fish. Which shops do you go to? Have you tried any of the biggies in London?
Certainly killies and a few varieties of apistos should be easy as nip to find within travelzone 2 or 3. I would hesitate to order in apistos especially. It's far better to find somewhere with 2 or 3 different varieties (or 10+) and see what looks best.
Tried Wholesale tropicals in Bethnal Green.

You could always go salt. No protein skimmer, 3 kilos live rock, blood shrimp and a single fish
Sorry i took so long to reply but i havent really had the time lately. I havent been to many of the big stores as it would take me a few hours to travel to them. I have been reading about Wholesale tropicals and it sounds really good so I will try and take a trip there when i get some time.

I have thought about going salt in the past but i found that it is quite difficult to get suitable lighting for such a small tank.

Anyway, I went back to my lfs today and bought a species labelled as "panchax". The fish is very colourful but im not sure if i made a mistake as i have started to do some research (i know i should have done this before :( ) and it seems that this fish will grow too big for my tank. I was told that at about 2" it was fully grown and would be fine in my tank because it is well established. Was this wrong information?

I would appreciate anymore information on this species and i will get a pic up as soon as possible so that you guys can help me identify the fish correctly, at the moment i think it is Aplocheilus panchax.

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
I am having some trouble feeding my panchax, i have tried flake, granular food and frozen bloodworm. I know that they eat insects in the while, should i try live food, maybe daphnia?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
oh ok thanks lotus. I will pick up some daphnia today for my killie *thumbsups . Do you know what the fishes scientific name is? I want to make sure that i am researching the right fish.

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
Thanks for the confirmation. I have just fed the daphnia and he loved 'em. He looks like a true predator stalking its prey.

Thanks for all the ideas and help everyone. I think i made a good choice on the killie. *BOUNCINGS

Thanks *celebrate