9 fish dead, I need help!!!

Jan 27, 2006
I have a new 29 gallon fish tank (about 3 weeks old). The first week we had the fish, 4 died. In the last two weeks, 5 more have died. We used Start Right when setting up the aquarium, and the temperature is about 78. Any suggestions?

Sep 8, 2005
How many fish were in this tank and what kind? Is it a cycled tank? If you did not cycle the tank they are probably dying from ammonia poisoning. How many fish are left? Do you have a test kit to test your water parameters?

Jan 27, 2006
There were 8 fish in the beginning, 2 angel fish, 2 upside down catfish, 2 snails, 1 shark, and 1 sucker fish. I don't know much about fish, so we didn't let the tank cycle first. After some (4) of the fish died, we replaced some of them. There are only 3 left. Where do I go from here?

Sep 8, 2005
Get a test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Change 25% of your water making sure it is the same temp as your tank water and add the dechlor Start Right. Do not add anymore fish. If you can get some stabilizer by seachem do and follow the directions.
TLM4x4 gave you a link...read it. Invaluable information there.

What 3 fish are left?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Follow the cycling instructions. Just so you know -- letting a tank sit doesn't cycle a tank and you don't need an UGF. I would ignore that advice. ;)

The tank needs to be cycled. Stability by Seachem will help since the cycle has already begun. (don't bother with Cycle or some of the other products, they haven't had good reviews from any aquarist I know who's tried them)

What are you using for dechlorination? Try Prime or Amquel+, they'll help neutralize some of the toxins while also taking care of chlorine/chloramine.

You need to perform water changes and also vacuum the bottom of the tank -- do so at the same time since vacuuming removes water too. :) I would start with a good 50% water change, read all the cycling info and settle down to a good routine of tank maintenance.

You also need to test your water, preferably with reagent test kits (droppers not dip strips) to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates as your cycle progresses.

Don't feel like an idiot, who'd know fishkeeping didn't involve simply putting fish into water if someone didn't tell them? Welcome! :D

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
AZNDEATH
NO UNDER GROUDN FILTER !!!

theres your problme !
Why would that be a problem...from what I have read here and I've done a lot of reading and research, most people here don't recommend the underground filters because they don't work well. I personaly don't know from experience, never used one, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to say the not having a UGF is the problem.

This is one thread regarding UGF
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33159&highlight=gravel+filters

and here is another
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32914&highlight=gravel+filters

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Actually, the waste goes under the filter plate, then sits there until you clean it out. Fish poo, uneaten food and other particles are not broken down by the beneficial bacteria to the point that they are gone. If you don't clean it out, eventually it builds up creating problems.

Also the beneficial bacteria grows in the gravel itself, not under the filter plate.