9 fish dead, I need help!!!

I agree whith Limi, I have an UGF on my 20 gal Gold fish tank... but I have it hooked up to my whisper 60 in order to pull the waste out from under the plate, but every 6-9 months I still have to take the gravel outand clean under the plates, one day I gonna purposefully forget to put the plates back in,and just run the HOB filter...lol

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
A HOB or Canister filter is much more efficient than a UGF. UGF is yesterday's technology and while it provides a low-tech means of filtration, I would bet that the biologic filtration benefits of a UGF are no greater than a canister with bio-media or the use of biowheels. Plus you don't have to completely tear your tank apart to clean it, change/rinse your cartriges/media and you're set to go.

Additionally, if you don't clean out the UGF sludge, you can be creating a toxic cesspool within your tank.

ferkix

Medium Fish
Jun 16, 2003
Pennsylvania
Just don't get discouraged with the new terms and such that you're hearing and reading:)

I can guarantee that if you follow the advice and read the links TLM4X4 posted, you'll have a great tank in no time. It all takes a bit of patience.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Hey, like ferkix said, dont get discouraged. I know I got real worried and frustrated when I first started my tank, but now I'm starting to get my water back under control and my buddy is much happier now :) The road to recovery is kinda slow, but we'll make it. As far as the abbreviations go, I didnt know what half of them meant, but, never fear! This link will explain so many of them!
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24105

Good luck!