90 Gallon (Good deal or not) Urgent

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
hell yes!

don't even hesitate

Thanks Lorna I will definitely get it now. Although it does not have the JG fitting as shown in the link in the earlier post. He is also selling a WaveMaster Pro by red sea, don't remember the price but should I get it or just leave it. I am planning on getting 2 Seio M2600 powerheads will they do good with the wave maker or just a waste of money?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Update. Finally brought the setup home, took me 2 trips as the thing was huge and won't fit my old SUV.

Had gone to homedepot to look for paint. The stand and canopy are not finished so i need to paint them or stain them and have no idea how? Any suggestions would be great. Should I stain it black or paint it black?

As for the skimmer now he is asking $125 for it and i check it is an older model. I am still debating on it. I need to do some research on the older model and see if it is worth it.

I will post pics of the setup later once I get everything in place.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Stain it! I would do a really rich dark brown but whatever color floats your boat is fine. Staining will bring out the grain in the wood and will create a really nice finish as opposed to slapping a few coats of paint on there. Staining is quite simple, you just need some sandpaper, a foam paintbrush and a few old rags to rub the color into the wood. Any staff at Home Depot will be able to point you in the right direction.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Stain it! I would do a really rich dark brown but whatever color floats your boat is fine. Staining will bring out the grain in the wood and will create a really nice finish as opposed to slapping a few coats of paint on there. Staining is quite simple, you just need some sandpaper, a foam paintbrush and a few old rags to rub the color into the wood. Any staff at Home Depot will be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks Eva, Your reply helped a lot. I am definitely going to stain it. Although not sure about the color. I might look into the dark brown or the black stain as the aquarium trim is black. The stand and canopy have already been sanded I just need to stain it. Tomorrow I will go to home depot and get the stuff required and stain it and post pics. Will although make a new 90 gallon built post.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
No problem, I'm glad I can help. Good luck with this project! I am a big fan of woodworking and miss it alot! It might also help to look into a water resistent type of top coat or shellack (sp) type thing to help with the salt water possibly eroding the stain/wood

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Update.

I was not able to stain the stand & canopy. will do it once I get some free time. I finally got the skimmer and pump for $120 pic below. He also gave me 30 lbs of aragonite sand and a bucket of reef crystals he had. I already bought black stainer Just need the time. Will post pics once I am done staining.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I need some recommendations!!!

What size sump would be good for the 90 gallon tank. I am having difficulty deciding. I was thinking of getting a 20 gallon long tank but I don't think it will be enough.

What do you guys recommend????

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
as big as you can go, 40+ would be ideal.
Thanks. but the problem is that I am not that good at DIY glass work. With the 20 G i can get pri cut glass from home depot which are 10" X 12" and they will fit perfectly in the 20 G Long. The other choise was a 29G, will it be enough? I am still confused!!! I don't think the 40 gallon tank will fit the stand. The stand 48" x 18" , as for the 40 gallon tank sizes

40 gallon Breeder 36" x 18" x 16"
40 gallon Long 48" x 12" x 16"

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
yeah 29 will be fine..yeah the bigger is better but oh well..if your tank isn't completely filled with LR no prob with the 29..sure the more water you have the best it is, but man you have a 90g tank.
BTW your skimmer looks great
Thanks!! I guess a 29 will have to do! I will buy one tomorrow and start with the baffles. Hopefully I will have everything ready to setup by next Saturday.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would think about drilling a bulkhead and running the skimmer externally outside of the sump, that way the pump for the skimmer isn't adding heat and it would give you more room and volume in your sump. Easier to work on also.......give it a thought....