92 Gallon Corner Aquarium Build

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
on the tank was previously salt? dont have much advice on that as i have only used ug hob and can filters myself (no overflow or bulkheads)

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
It has been salt and fresh. But they hired a "professional" to do the sump work. Yeah right. Well needless to say I'm re-doing it all as we speak. Just bought new fresh bulkheads and I will be using PVC to plumb it later on tonight and the rest of the week. I want it to be done right the first time.....

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
ummm there is something to be said about doing it right the first time lol.

nothing worse then a tank full of fish that has issues down the road.

(on the other section they are instructing a 16yr old girl to "caulk" a 10g leaky tank) ummm no you don't fix that you replace it, she has had the tank since December honestly she should just return it to walmart for a new one... but yeah they are all about the advice to do a shotty repair job....

so forgive my case of stupid, but how does the sump work?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
10G tanks are $6.99. Buy a new one!!!

Anyways, the sump is genius. By far the best way to filter an aquarium. So in the back of the tank there is a plastic black wall that has notches in the top for the water to overflow. Two holes are in the back of this chamber one being the intake and one being the out. So essentially when you fill up the tank to the top where the water can start to overflow into this chamber, it fills up to a certain amount and then starts draining into your out pipe down into an external sump. Mine is 19gallons and fits under the main tank on the one side. (I will add a pic later) The dirty water then passes through all kinds of filter media, bio balls, etc and then gets pumped back up through the intake pipe and into the tank. So the level of your tank never drops because you just do top offs into the sump area. You cant even see the filtration one bit when the doors are closed and tank is going.

Plus the benefits are insane with a sump. You gain all of the extra volume, waste and other junk stays in the sump, and there is less maintenance.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
on the 10g i freaking know! its from a walmart kit they will probably exchange it for her if she just too it in there, or she cold do the return switcharoo. Im annoyed, plus i highly doubt the seal will hold or that it will be done correctly (re sealed tanks always leak and look like poop even when someone good does the work)

wow thats neat, so if i wanted to do that do i have to drill my tank?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
what are you going to stock with have you decided?

just cichlids or are you going plecos too??? tell me more tell me more :)

you can also add barbs with africans as long as they are the same size if you like barbs

if i had infinate money and a clean slate i would do all haps and peacocks with a few fancy victorians and tanjanikans in the mix maybe all males if i could find them, but m colored up peacocks are terribly expensive. oh and trewavassees are my favorite :)

btw don't get hung up on PH... It is harder to get to 8 and maintain it then it is worth just go with tap water ph unless you're very low 6's out of the tap your fish will do fine in 7-8ph

Last edited:

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
African and some plecos. I couldnt have a tank without Plecos keeping it clean and neat!

Probably doing 20-25 Africans. I still need to grab some rocks, and maybe a piece of driftwood. I want to cover up the back wall as much as possible. I kind of wish I would have somehow made the middle piece to match the sides. Just had the overflow issue to figure out.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah, I mean I don't know how "clean" plecos keep my tank but they are fantastic.

Have you decided on what species? (haps and peacocks are africans :)) so are tropheous groups, malowi etc etc.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I will probably just do a 20-25 Malawi assorted (Mbuna). I want to have a good variety with less hassle and aggression. So I may keep it to around 20 to prevent overcrowding issues.

My problem is I used to see them in a tank together all the time when I lived in Cincinnati at a place called Jacks aquarium and pets. They had a nice 55 gallon or so display with about 20 or so assorted cichlids. Yellows, Oranges, Blue striped, and dark blue. They were like $3.99 or so and if you bought more they were cheaper. Now In Chicago I have yet to find this. I'm hoping I can come across a place soon. I've been to old town aquarium, living sea aquarium, and 2 aquarium adventures and have seen african cichlids, but none in an assorted tank with discounted pricing for groups.

Last edited:

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Well the time is finally here. Its been cycling for almost 2.5 weeks. My params look good and the tank is nice and clear. I think I'm going to go add maybe 6-10 Cichlids over the weekend. I will have the store run a test also just to make sure I'm ready, and to warranty my purchase! Pics to come!

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Thanks! I cant wait to add another 14 or so and they start to grow into adult size.

I'm looking around for some rocks to add in the back of the tank to help with keeping the PH up as well as adding some hiding spots for the fish. Plus I want to cover the overflow as much as possible without compromising its functionality....

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
chipoke get mean and will cross with the johani (males turn blackish) for that reason if you get fry at some point (they will breed at about 2.5") just leave em in there

i would suggest some trewavasse if you can find them and maybe a few haps or peacocks :)

I house zebras too they are the fastest growers amongst what you have and they also can get sorta mean

as always with africans watch for aggression

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
This weekend I went out and bought another batch. I decided to go with 8 more African Cichlids, and 2 Pleco's.

I bought the following:

1 - Pseudo Socolofi
1 - Pseudo Demasoni
1 - Gold Lab
1 - Albino Melanochromis Auratus
1 - Yellow Fin Pseudo
1 - White Lab
2 - Exasperatus
2 - Bristlenose Pleco's

Pics of all the new fish to come.