A few beginning questions

Kruse

Medium Fish
Sep 23, 2010
Minnesota
Unfortunately, I did not get that tank. It sold moments before I was able to get there.

Anyway...what are your opinions on Bio-Wheel filters, specifically the Penguin 125? I do know it has been discontinued, but was replaced by the Penguin 150B.

Another question...if I put Fluorite in the tank with plants during the first cycle, will it have any kind of negative impact?

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I used to love the Penguins until I got my AquaClear. Honestly, Penguins are just glorified AquaTech filters, in my opinion (manufactured by the same company and take the same filter cartridges...biggest difference is the BioWheel assembly). I would switch all my HOB filters over to the AquaClears if I could (I have mainly AquaTechs at the moment because that's what I can afford).

As for the Fluorite question...it won't affect your cycle either way.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I have both filters running on different tanks! They both have there pro's and cons. I like the AQ's because they are way easier to customize the media. I like the bio wheel however because you never touch the beneficial bacteria when changing the mechanical filter.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have both filters running on different tanks! They both have there pro's and cons. I like the AQ's because they are way easier to customize the media. I like the bio wheel however because you never touch the beneficial bacteria when changing the mechanical filter.
If you're changing out the filter cartridge, you are changing out more beneficial bacteria than is established on your BioWheel. The BioWheel doesn't have nearly the surface area that your media has. The reason your tank isn't going into a mini cycle is that at least some of the bacteria is remaining in place in the filter (where the majority of your water is processed through the bacteria) to prevent a mini cycle. Just thought I'd point that out. *thumbsups*PEACE!*

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
AquaClears are the best filter I've ever owned. I've had 3 too many Aqua-Techs break within this past year to stay away from the company that makes them. AquaClears are really efficient, you can adjust the flow, and they turn on automatically (something my Aqua-Techs never did) after a power outage.

Kruse

Medium Fish
Sep 23, 2010
Minnesota
When filling the tank for the first time, is it acceptable to treat/condition all the water once it is full? Obviously, future water changes/additions (with fish and plants) I would pre-treat the water.

Kruse

Medium Fish
Sep 23, 2010
Minnesota
Now my problem is finding pure ammonia. I've only tried my local grocery store and Wal-Mart, but both of those have ammonia that contain a surfactant(which appears to be a dispersant/detergent).

Any suggestions?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Home Depot
Lowes
Taylor's Do-It Center
Other random hardware stores
Walgreens
Rite-Aid

They should all carry ammonia, but I'm not sure which ones locally will have the pure stuff.

If (okay, WHEN) I have another tank I think I'm going to try the Tetra Safe-Start method.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Home Depot doesn't carry any ammonia here, Lowes doesn't have it either nor did Walgreens, RiteAide, or any of the grocers in Washigton. I gave up. Be aware that Walgreens had "clear" but not "pure" and although surfactant wasn't specifically mentioned on the bottle, when I shook it, it definitely had suds.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Tetra Safe Start doesn't really require a 1 week waiting period or anything. Sure, I'd be treating the water for chlorine first, so I'd still have to wait a week for the dechlorinator to do its job, but TSS is basically a fairly safe "fish-in" method.

Steps:
1. set up tank, add water, add dechlorinator
2. wait a week for the dechlorinator to clear out of the tank (It kills TSS)
3. After a week add TSS
4. wait an hour
5. Add a fish every 3 days or more (If you're adding aggressive cichlids add them all at once)
6. Don't change your water for the first two weeks
7. Done