A guide for beginners - part 1

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Successful Fish keeping, A guide for beginners.

Often, in this forum, we see the problems associated with beginners keeping their first fish. I’m writing this as an attempt to help put some of you on the ‘right’ track to keeping health fish.

One of the most common questions we get at myfishtank.net is about pH modification. Let me just say, that pH modification is completely unnecessary. About the only time it is necessary is if your pH is outside of the 4-10 range. If you have a pH over 10 or less than 4, get your tests verified, as its probably wrong. There are only a few places in the world with water conditions such as these. A pH reading of 7.0 is not ‘the perfect’ pH.in fact there is no perfect pH – other than the pH that you have from YOUR tap.

I personally like the analogy of pH is to fish, like humidity is to humans. If you were born and raised in the desert, then moved to the middle of the swamps. You’d be uncomfortable for a while, but you would adjust. The same applies to fish and pH levels. About the only thing to be conscious of, is that pH swings over 0.3 can be stressful to fish.

To end this topic, let me say, that there are some fish that do not do well in certain pH ranges. In general, you will not find these fish at your local fish/pet store (unless it is better than 99% out there). These fish are definitely not for beginners.

Tank cycling is still one of the biggest topics out there. Every beginner has to deal with it, and it probably causes almost as many fish deaths as pH modification. Many others cover it very well, Let me just say that you do need to own ammonia (NH3), Nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3) test kit. Refer to the articles on myfishtank.net and www.thekrib.com . The basics you really need to understand is simply fish poop! Fish poop contains or creates ammonia which is harmful to fish, the bacteria that slowly develops in your filter media takes that ammonia and converts it into nitrite (which is also harmful to fish). A slower growing bacteria converts nitrite into nitrate which is relatively harmless to fish, in low concentrations. Nitrates are only removed from your fish tank in 2 ways, plant/algae growth and water changes.

For a new tank, it will take 6-8 weeks (or more) for the tank to cycle. You know the tank is cycled when you test the water, and the results show levels of Ammonia and Nitrite that are 0, and nitrate levels that rise slowly.

One of those hard to answer questions that we receive daily on the board deals with fish stocking. It is very easy to ask on the board will X get along with Y. But the number of such questions every day, has gotten out of hand. Please feel free to do your own research. There are fish profiles out there, for just about every fish. All the commonly found fish are covered multiple times. See the profiles here on www.myfishtank.net , www.fishprofiles.com and surprisingly if you enter the common name or scientific name of any fish on google, yahoo or askjeeves you will find a lot of specific information about these fish. As a beginner it would be wise to stay away from aggressive and territorial fish.

Do you really need a heater? In a word – YES. If your house stayed at a constant temperature of 78degrees 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You’d still need a heater. The main reason is, most houses do not stay at a consistent temperature all day, and all year. Most houses have drafts, air conditioning or other variables that would affect tank temperatures. Having a heater will reduce the temperature swings that invariably causes fish stress. If that wasn’t reason enough, many of the more common aquarium maladies (fish illnesses) use heat as part of the treatment. For the minimal cost of a heater – its well worth the purchase.

Next time I'm bored :) I'll write more!

Andy

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
nice write up. :)

i think it should be added that it is much easier to increase ph and stabilize it than it is to lower it and keep it there. (not that it is needed in 99% of all cases)

just a quick 2 cents.
M

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
This article is great for beginers and the like because it is simple, cut and dry facts. No big scientific terms, mumbo jumbo, just straight, easy to understand answers to many questions that beginer hobbiest have.

I would vote to put this in the beginer FAQ. Absolutly.

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
Let's try not to let this website turn into a fish database because the experienced people are sick of the newbies' questions. What makes this website so great is that all people who appreciate fish keeping can come and interact with each other. They can share their ideas and experiences.

The experienced fish keepers should consider themselves teachers. Teachers share their ideas and experiences with their students. Each year a teacher gets new students. And each year the teacher answers the same questions that were asked a year before.

While I do believe a FAQ database is quite helpful, we should not streamline this website to the point where there is little interaction. I can see a future where someone asks a question and the abrupt answer is to check the FAQ. Doesn't anyone see anything wrong with that? Well, just me playing devil's advocate....;)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Point taken Flex. I do think, however, that even after we implement an FAQ section there will still be interaction. We'll just have somewhere that the answers are already written up to quote and point people to specifically. Dont forget that these are all written by people on the board who are still here to ask questions of and talk to...so in a way the responses will be a little bit more concise and easy to go through. After all they are covering the most frequently asked questions right?? We just need to make sure that everyone stays sensitive to newbies :)

Somonas, yes I think this article should be in the FAQ section...and Andy should be able to make edits or a part2 if he'd like that covers any more "general" type topics that we see a lot of questions on. Maybe its a good intro?

fishbrain

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Central NY, USA
www.geocities.com
Great post AndyL very straight forward & easy to understand!!

I agree with Flex26. Being fairly new to this hobby myself if I was just brushed off to go read the FAQ & profiles then I'd move on to another forum..... Although I can understand that longtime fishkeepers can get sick of the same old question & move on as well. A place for All is what I see this place as, hope I'm not wrong....

As froggyfox21 basically said the experienced are Needed by Newbies as teachers. (I for one appreciate my education here)

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
I think you are right, Froggy. The FAQ will definitely provide a reference point for many of the experienced people. And I think the FAQ is great idea.

Just one more point....

As I browse through other forums, I notice that many of them are pretty dry. And I can't help but think the reason those forums are dry is because people new to the hobby feel alienated. I think they feel intimidated. Consequently, they are afraid to ask the beginner questions. So basically, these forums only have the experienced people arguing back and forth about Fluval vs Eheim. How boring is that? (Obviously, I am exaggerating to make a point.)

This forum is great because it is so lively and so diverse. And by diverse, I mean a good mixture of novice, intermediate, and advanced aquarists.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
it cycles continually...fish put waste (ammonia) in, the bacteria changes it to nitrite, different bacteria changes the nitrite to nitrate...then plants or water changes that you do take the nitrates out of the water...

When we talk about cycling a tank we are talking about the initial period when you're setting up a tank where all of the bacteria needed doesn't exist yet and it takes quite awhile to get it working properly.