A guide for beginners - part 1

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Like almost everything in life, its more of a balance than a finite event.

After a tank is initially populated, the bacteria need to grow enough to handle the wastes of the fish. Once there is enough bacteria to handle the waste output of the fish (usually called bio-load) Then the tank is 'cycled'. But add more fish, or feed more - otherwise causing more waste, the biological filter (the bacteria) need time to catch up, causing what is often refered to as a 'mini cycle'

Andy

fwishee

Large Fish
Dec 4, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Ah ok. Thanks. I'm beginning to get my head round the concept.

Hmm, would you advise putting all your fish in a cycled tank at once then: so the conditions wouldnt change by adding new fish over time. Or add them gradually.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Well it depends on the cycle...if you do a fishless cycle then the idea is to put all the fish in at once and then if you're going to add more you'll have to do it gradually.

If you do a fish-in cycle, then you add them gradually after the initial cycle is over.

Reason for the difference is that with a fishless cycle you've built up more bacteria than your tank will actually need...so it will support as large of a bioload as you want. With a fish-in cycle the bacteria are only building up to support the bioload you have in there of a couple of fish...so you have to build up the bacteria every time you add more fish.

Does that make sense?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
on SO many levels :) yes. no fish harmed, good results right off bat, allows beginners to fool with everything about the tank BEFORE putting fish in it, faster....lol

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
depends on your tank's circumstances (size of tank, temperature, fish, plants etc). Why dont you check out the threads specifically about cycling for more info on that??

Sheri24

Small Fish
May 26, 2004
Toledo, OH
Visit site
SOOOOOO..... I'm starting my tank over. I took out 95% of the water. Vaccumed out the gravel. Boiled my planted and rocks. And added new water. Do I need to wait a month before fish or should I just keep testing my water to see if the conditions are right?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado

styxx1

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
Here's an idea...

I think that is a good Idea, a FAQ is usefull and can be used by everyone without waiting for a reply from someone. ANd, if someone like myself new to the hobby were to had additional questions then they can always send a quick thread or reply seeking additional information or clarification. Just a thought!

Temperature

Great forum message board...it has answered many of my questions.

I have two more today

1. The question I have is regards to temperature. I borrowed one of those little devices for measuring temperature at differant depths of water. My friend is a freshwater fisherperson ...I have found as much as a 15F differance between the bottom and the shallows of my ponds. The fish swim in and out of these zones and don't seem to show any stressing ...why is that?

2. Is there any way to measure the amount of the oxygen content. My fisherperson friend says that she has been looking into getting one ...it is a machine a lot like the temp device she has. Seems that in some of the lakes she fishes in the oxygen content goes down to "0" that is why a lot of wood gets petrified at the bottom of the lake and also why there would be no fish down there...but I wondered if there was something a little simpler and cheaper to by.

Thanks Tony

shooter

Small Fish
Dec 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
We newbies thank you guys for your patience and for sharing your knowledge, and remember this, if you teach us well you won't have to answer the same questions over and over cause we will be here to share what you have taught us to the next batch of newbies. Use the Force Luke Skywalker!

Last edited:
washing sand

I thought when I first joined and heard of washing sand I was being wound up *crazysmil I thought all the sand wouldve got washed away but since learnt how to do it via stirring it round with water letting it settle and syphoning off the top layer of water and keep repeating until the top water was clear,also some great tips via using a drain pipe or similar to gently introduce the sand to the water or even using plastic bags to bottom of tank and slowly pouring sand out :p novice that I am lol I just put sand in bottom (unwashed) poured water in slowly n then sand storm was a mild way of describing what happened lol
:( some said Id have to start again,some said just leave it to settle and luckily I just left it to time for it to settle and rinse out my filter everyday and today 3 days later its great and my fish is enjoying the new surroundings.
Also I like the idea of how easier it is to be able to clean the bottom as I used to have glass marbles covering the bottom which looked brilliant but took lot of cleaning out.
I have only one goldfish at the moment and have named her oneeater lol
but will now slowly build up with the help and guidance of this great site *GOLDFISH*

Nov 22, 2007
Hi, If you don't mind, I have a quick question. I can't seem to find an answer too. Do black mollies have white specks on the bottom of their eyes ? Mine has one on either side of her eye in the same place. I want to make sure it's not ich or something. I looks the size of grain of salt or maybe a bit smaller.
thanks
Wendy